Sidekick/Tracker top speed with lift & tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 03:44 PM
zukiman

Sidekick/Tracker top speed with lift & tires

For the last several weeks, I've been drooling over ProjectTwin's Tracker, so I've been talking with him about the various modifications he's made. He seems pleased with how it's turned out, and I certainly approve of the mods to his rig. I'm considering building a 4-door Sidekick or Tracker in the future, so I take all of his information seriously.

But something he said really caused me to worry if this actually will be the right vehicle for me to build. With his 6 inches of lift and 32 inch tires, he says his Tracker tops out at about 70mph in 4th gear. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Obviously, re-gearing it to bring back the use of 5th gear will help, but I was under the impression that with a 16-valve 1600, it would be able to easily, comfortably cruise at 80-85mph.

Maybe I have a skewed impression of what to reasonably expect from only 1590cc's of power, but since my little Swift GTi 1298cc motor can get my big Sammy on 33x14.50's up to 80-85mph without drafting or going downhill, that little motor should be able to easily pull 90mph if I swapped the tall, fat Swampers for the short, skinny 32x9.50's that are on ProjectTwin's Tracker.

So is my GTi hybrid motor really making that much more power than the 16-valve 1600, or is there more than just the too-tall gearing eating up ProjectTwin's top speed? What kind of speed do you Sidekick/Tracker guys get out of your rigs on the highway? I'm not looking to build a race car, but part of the reason why I want to upgrade from my Samurai to a 4-door Sidekick is so that I have a more comfortable vehicle to make long-distance drives in, especially since I have a girlfriend's concerns to be keeping in mind too.

A 4-door Sidekick has even more weight to haul around than the 2-door, and I was even considering getting an automatic which will sap even more power from the motor. If I was to build a 4-door 96-98 Sidekick/Tracker with an automatic, 31's, and swap in the 5.12 gears from a manual tranny vehicle, what kind of highway speed do you guys think I could comfortably cruise at? I don't need fast acceleration or an unreasonably high top speed, but I would like to be able to cruise with California freeway traffic at 80-85mph on all but the steep grades.

Have I set my sights too low? Would I need a V-6 Grand Vitara or XL-7 to meet these requirements?

-- Geoff Beasley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 03:50 PM

Re: Sidekick/Tracker top speed with lift & tires

Well, it is a stock 8 valve, and a 4 cylinder, which isn't much of a torque monster. My plan with this one was to go with a small engine/big gears set-up. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

With stock gearing (factory 5.12s) and the 32x9.50s I'm getting 26mpg on the highway and 21mpg in town...compared to 31mpg on the highway and 26mpg in town on stock tires.

It ran great prior to installing the larger, heavier tires and wheels, but needs to be re-geared to regain some of it's pep.

No big deal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 03:54 PM
zukiman

Duh....

I'll gladly accept the "Dumb$hit Of The Year" award for having overlooked the fact that you have the 80hp 8-valve motor.

That explains why my Sammy could outrun you now, but hey, you still have the advantage of more low-end torque than the 16v 1600 provides. And that's what you really need for the trail anyway. But since I want a highway cruiser, the 95hp 16-valve is the only way to go.

But I'm still curious, those of you with Sidekicks running 30-inch or larger tires, what kind of top speeds are you guys seeing? Does your 1600 have enough "oomph" or should I really be considering a 155-165hp Grand Vitara instead?

-- Geoff "dumb as a rock" Beasley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

my heavily modified tracker with a 3 speed transmission did 60-70MPH all the way to Paragon from mass. (this with good sized mountains. (33's and 4.10 in the toy axles with a sami GRS1) If I was to add the 16V from the wifes 4 door and 4 speeed I could do 80 if I was nuts enough. (I really might be able to anyway just not up any hills.)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well the wifes 4 door 16v honks along at 75-80 with gas pedel to spare. We love it. It does have a stiffer suspension than
the newer GV does but overlall it is a nice rig.
Gearing correction as you know is important.
My WW3 is 8v also. My gearing is corrected just about right for the engine. (speedo reads 5-8MPH fast) With my custom suspension I drove the 6 hours back from paragon with 1 fuel
stop and a walk around. (and I had back surgury last year)
I much prefer it over a sami. And it will out wheel my old rig all the heck.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Addict

With a 2" lift and 215s my Vit will manage to maintain 70mph, needs 4th a lot of the time. On a downhill it'll hit 90 but changing the tyres really is noticeable even from 27 to 29, used to cruise at 80mph. Its a 3 yr old vehgicle with only 30,000 miles on the clock, 1.6 8V. Lower ratio R&Ps are the only way to go, but even then over 31" tyres and it will be back to the same problem.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Frog

I must be really lucky 'cause my 8V w/ 170 000 miles still cruises at 80 mph (GPS speed). It's a 5 speed...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Journeyman

there was no change in the way it drove. i have 215-75-15 and it is a 3sp automatic. i have the BDS 2in lift and it is a 1.6 16v

[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 02:53 PM
Addict

I should have said that I have full profile 215s, they measure up at 29", The 215/75s are a smaller diameter. 33s are going on this weekend and 5:83 R&Ps will follow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode