My Son's Tracker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Son\'s Tracker

I am a new member of the list. I joined in hopes of getting help for my Son on his project Tracker.
He is 15 and we recently bought him a 94 tracker 4wd 2door as his first car. He of course sees this as girl car in its bone stock form. I made the mistake of showing him some sites with pics of lifted versions and all of a sudden we have a project.
So I need to make a plan. I want to stage this because of the expense. It will be his primary vehicle so I dont want to compromise safety or roadworthyness. I think his forays into off-roading will only be fireroads and such.
Anyway he wants to start with tires and wheels and maybe a lift. I assume it requires a suspension lift to use bigger tires. I am of course afraid of too much lift because of rollover risk so I was wondering how big the tires can be with no lift and with a small lift. Also what lift kit and tires are best to maintain its road manners.
This is what I am planning as the first stage of the process. In the future I was hoping to add a roll cage and some bumpers and skid plates.
I would very much appreciate suggestions and sources of parts and information which you have found helpful.
thanks [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: My Son\'s Tracker

If your son is interested in off-roading, I can't stress enough that you find a club near you that he can join. The places we can wheel are diminishing and teaching the new generation the right way and place to wheel is important.

I'm more of a Samurai/Jeep guy myself, but it sounds like you're on the right track. I've found that I can go nearly anywhere with a 3" lift and 31" tires on my Cherokee. This is on mild/moderate and a few hard trails. So a mild lift and decent tires should be good for your son.

Keep the lift mild (under 3 inches combined) and the tires under 30, and you'll have a stout little off-roader. I would put skid plates up on your list because it will protect the vehicle from expensive repairs while your son is learning to drive and off-road. Once your boy has experience driving on the road, and off-roading, step him up to a rear or front locker.

An inexpensive way to get the lift would be coil spring spacers and a body lift. I would discuss this idea more, with people who actually wheel the Sidekick.

For tires I would choose one of the mud or all terrain tires. If you choose mud tires have them siped down the center. This will make the tire better handling on wet pavement. I run BFG AT's on my Cherokee, and Swamper TSL Radials on my Samurai. The AT's do a good enough job off-road and are much better on road. Their biggest failing is in the mud, but they've given great traction on rocks, dirt, hills, and sand.

Teaching him to drive the Tracker on the road is going to be the harder of the two styles of driving. He needs to learn right up front that the Tracker is not a sports car, and doesn't handle like one. Without much driving experience, and being a teenage boy, he'll want to push the thing to it's limits. That, of course, is where accidents and roll overs occur. I would probably put a sticker on the center of his dash that says "SPEED KILLS" as a reminder that he receives every time he gets in the truck.

Good luck with your project. It would be helpfull if you filled in your profile and let us know where you're from. You'll find this forum to be a valuable resource and find many people here willing to help.

Later...
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 02:11 PM

Keith is right, keep the tires to 30", add a 2" body lift, (easy) and add skidplates for security and bumpers for style points.

My son's been driving my Tracker for a year now, I almost never get to drive it and he's not been able to break it. (90 2 door 4X4.)

I wouldn't speend too much on it until the need arrives as his interests in cars may change before you get all the way through a major "improvement/upgrade." Keep the mods simple and let him drive it.

You did come the right place for assistance, enjoy!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 02:32 PM

This is a great place for information. I would agree with the above two. Put a 2 inch body lift on it, some 1 inch coil spacers, and then some 30x10.5 tires. The truck will be set, and this won't cost a lot. Also, fill out your profile so that if any of us live near you we can tell you places to go, people to meet, and give you a helping hand.

Hope he enjoys the truck.

Heather

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 02:43 PM

Those IZOOK links are outdated now I guess. I tried them and they didn't work. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I found the new ones though!

http://www.izook.com/tech/tracker/trackerindex.htm

Heather [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 04:47 PM

Hi,

Welcome to the ORC !! Is your tracker a 1.6 8 vaule or 16 vaule motor also is it automatic tranny or 5 speed? Softtop or hardtop. As others have said I would stay small and go with the two inch body lift. With the two inch body lift unlike a three inch you won't have to do anything with your shirters of steering. Your lug pattern is 5 on 5 1/2 I would stay with a 7 or 8 inch wheel and a 29 or 30 inch tire.The bigger you go the more you have to doto keep it streetable and safe, with big lifts come steering troubles, then if you lift it higher your going to want bigger tires and with bigger tires comes gearing troubles.There's alot of companysout there now selling stuff for the trackers and I think its a great first car. Get a plain of what you think you want then do a search on here most likey its already ben tlked about at one time.Let your son do most the work on the tracker thats the best way to learn theres a 16 year on here now ( ANTON ) that has been on here for years sence about 12 years old and now he knows and can build pretty much anything he wants to and knows the suzukis pretty well. Good luck !!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

If you want to show your son a really built tracker.. look at ..projecttwin.. on this board.. Your son will really like it.. I agree with the others tho, don't put alot of money into it because his idea of what he wants for a car/truck will prob. change....alot

Later, Scott
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Frog

I'm running 235/75/15 on mine w/ a 2" homemeade suspension (80$) and a 1" homemeade body lift (10$).
I added a couple skid plates (75$) a locker (175$) and shaved the bumpers.
It's now a really capable off roader for dirt cheap.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 02:13 AM

Welcome to the boards!

Girls car? Is it purple? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I wouldn't call my Tracker "really built", but I'm slowly chipping away at making it what I want. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Still it's by no means what I'd consider a "gir's car" (except in hcgalvin's case, she's got a nice Tracker [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img])

Also check out Glenn's WW3. He's running a solid axle up front.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet...before you let your son do too much driving with the Tracker, put a nice rollcage in, just incase.

I can't stress enough to do research before you buy anything. Ask around and get opinions on things you're considering.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode