Staggered tire sizes front/rear? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 02:57 AM
zukiman

Staggered tire sizes front/rear?

So here's a crazy idea I had the other day:

4-door Sidekick, with the appropriate amount of lift to accomodate 31-inch tires. A real good street/trail tire is the Swamper SSR. But they make the SSR in two different widths with a 31-inch diameter.

To fit 31's on the front and still be able to turn and articulate, I would fit the 31x10.50's. But in back, there's no worry about clearing tires that steer, so why not fit the 31x12.50's? Other than looking a little "off," what (if any) reasons would there be for NOT doing this?

I would think the benefits would be better grip (more rubber and wider lugs to grab at the terrain), improved weight distribution in back atop soft surfaces, where the rear will already be riding low since it follows in the fronts' tracks, and a more "planted" rear end during steep hillclimbs.

Am I crazy? Or might this actually work?

-- Geoff Beasley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Alfie

Re: Staggered tire sizes front/rear?

Don't think it would hurt. But as for more tyre planted weight I think you may have it wrong. A narrow tyre will place more weight than a widey. The wide tyres will float better, but a skinny will dig better.
Alf.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 06:42 AM
Can't Get Enough

No, you're not crazy, and yes, it should work. When I had my Jeep, I put a Ford 9" axle in the rear and left the front stock (dana 35). The rear axle was about 2 inches wider than the front which made the rear end wider and the tires stuck out further. Looked pretty cool and never had any problems on road or off. As long as the height is the same it should be ok. You just won't be able to rotate your tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 10:15 AM
SilverZuk

Pretty common in the east.
We call them "Tellico specials"
Boggers rear and swampers in the front.

The rear driveline is stronger so put the most aggressive tire on back. Many don't want the front tires to dig, just help. The rear pushes, and the front turns mainly to help the front end up and over obstacles.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 10:16 AM

as far as looks just run different backspaced rims a little less in the rear and no one will probably ever notice
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 03:22 PM
zukiman

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
But as for more tyre planted weight I think you may have it wrong. A narrow tyre will place more weight than a widey. The wide tyres will float better, but a skinny will dig better.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't make myself clear enough. You see, one thing I've noticed with my Samurai is that while the front end climbs wonderfully, the weight transfer to the rear on steep inclines causes the rear tires to start digging. I want the greatest area of weight distribution possible, especially for snow. On my Samurai, I run 33x14.50 Swamper SSRs and would love to be able to distribute the weight even more, to keep the tires from digging. By staying on top of whatever the surface is, the vehicle stays much more mobile.

I know there's no way I could easily fit 31x12.50's on the front of a Sidekick without lots of "persuasion" so that's why I thought to run the standard size SSRs up front and the fattie SSRs out back, where tire clearance won't be an issue. And since I'd be getting different-width tires in back anyway, getting different backspacing would also not be a problem.

Thanks for your thoughts, guys! I'm actively dreaming about the Sidekick I want to build one of these days soon. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

-- Geoff Beasley
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 05:58 PM

i was impressed by how well a built track/kick can wheel after watching quite a few in action over memorial weekend.

mike hagan from zukiwold.com was our trail leader a couple of times and he drove his track/kick everywhere and made everyone else look silly.

his 4x4 club "Real Performance Machines" or RPM hosted the event. if anyone wants to see some built kick/tracks ripping it up, go to their club site at www.rpm4x4.com and look under ultimate pics and then under apple valley farms. this is where our wheeling trip took place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode