1.6 conversion questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2000, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1.6 conversion questions

My Samurai has 140K miles on it and is getting a little long in the tooth.
I've been thinking of doing the 1.6 8 valve carbeurated conversion.
I already have a Weber, and it didn't Maryland emissions. They do a dynomometer test. I don't think it will pass on a 1.6 8 valve.

If I did the 16 valve EFI conversion, I'm sure it would pass and give the Sami a little extra horse power.
I've seen a simplified wiring harness and bolt-on kit the Trail Toughweb site for this conversion.

Question #1: How hard is it to do the conversion to a 1.6 16 valve? I've rebuilt T-cases, added a Weber and done other part swapping.

Question #2: Will I need the computer with the donor engine? How does this affect any other computer controlled systems on the Samurai?

Question #3: Will my Samurai pass emissions after the conversion?

I plan on doing the conversion in July.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

Thanks,
Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2000, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1.6 conversion questions

>Question #1: How hard is it to do the conversion to a 1.6 16 valve?

Pretty involved. The prewired harness will help, but plan on alot of work. Alsoi you will HAVE TO obtain a fuel tank from a fuel injected Samurai. You cannot use an inline pump. Hi pressure fuel injection systems all require a tank driven pump. This is a hidden PITA that many guys don't find out until too late. A Samurai fuel injected tank with pump is necessary.

>Question #2: Will I need the computer with the donor engine? How does this >affect any other computer controlled systems on the Samurai?

Yes, and you need the wiring harness too. You supply these to Brent at Trail Tough as a core for the harness he sets up.

>Question #3: Will my Samurai pass emissions after the conversion?

It should if things have been done right.

If this sounds like a hassle, just get an 8valve 1.6, keep your carburator, and enjoy a simple one-two day swap with the bennies of extra power and not all the headache of the fuel injection.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2000, 12:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

.....I believe Shawn's most critical point was that he cannot pass emissons test now. Doubtful the 1.6L would help much.
Anyone have advice on how to improve the emissions on that Weber?
Has anyone been through emissions with a pony carb? That may be an economical alternative.

I agree w/ Glenn about the wiring, tho. What a mess.

Regards,
Tim J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2000, 12:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey man, look up Andy Stein a.k.a. rock crawler. He really sounds like he knows his webbers. I'm sure he can help you...
later
bb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2000, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also have a conversion in mind, but I have the 1.3 1300 EFI. So I am thinking of either rebuilding it, getting a rebuilt one or going for the 1600. So, my series of questiosn are this:
1) Do I have to replace all the comp[uter components from the donor?
2) Other than the motor mounts and EFI oil pan (which I obviously already have), is there anything else that is difficult?
3) I have a Throley header, does it bolt on to the 1600?
4) Is it really alot more horses (the 16 valve 1600cc) than my current block?
5) What is the going rate of such motors rebult and used at wrecking yards these days? Do you know of anyone with one for sale?

PLease email me back at [email protected] if you have answers . .I dont stop by in here much!

-Mike Egli

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2000, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

About a year ago I did some calling around looking for a cherry 1600 8v longblock. Most of the quotes that I received were in the 800-850 range. The mileage on those motors were somthing like 89k-140k+. The best one I found was out of a fresh rearend collision featuring a 95 tracker with documented mileage under 50k for $1000 even. At the other end of the spectrum I looked at a motor out of a 94 sidekick and was told it had rolled but ran when pulled. The engine was leaking from the front and rear crank seals, and oilpan, and had massive amounts of oily silt in the exhaust ports. The yard wanted 750 plus 100 core. I did run across a 1600 16 valve for 850, but since I was only interested in an 8 valve I never asked for any info on it. I have heard of 1600 8v engines going for less than 450 but have never seen a good one go that cheap. These are just some of the quotes that I ran into about a year ago. hope this helps

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2000, 01:44 AM
Journeyman

I just noticed this post - I wanted to clear up any confusion. We have been using external high pressure fuel pumps for quite some time now which have been working quite well. No need for fuel tank replacement or any fuel system modification other than replacing fuel filter and fuel pump. Once modifying the harness is out of the way, the most difficult part of the conversion is mounting the ECM and the air cleaner. The rest of it is a bolt together deal and power gains are well worth the effort!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2000, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you go with the 16 valve engine be shure not to over heat it. They don't just warp the head but crack also between the valves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode