Huge lack of power on road. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Huge lack of power on road.

Yesterday I took my Samurai for a drive on the highway. The truck hasn't been used on the road for years, so I don't know how it use to be on the road. I have a major power issue as soon as I hit 2nd gear in high range. 1st is fine, then when I shift to 2nd at about 5500 RPM the RPMs drop and it takes forever to get up there again, and I have to floor it. 3rd and 4th take even longer to gain speed.

I currently have the following on my 87 Samurai: Toyota axles front and rear with 4.10:1 gears, GRSII t-case (18% high range reduction), 33x13.5-15 Swamper LTBs, Suzuki Swift 1298CC block.

I tried coasting to a stop when I was going a decent speed and it didn't seem to stop that quick as if the brakes were dragging. My front brakes drag a bit but not much. I can turn the front tires when the vehicle is jacked up without too much effort.

I know that I should have a lot more power and more oomph than this. Longzuk has the same block as me, and with a stock t-case and 5.12's his zuk seems to go pretty well with 33x12.5 MTRs.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm going to replace my front calipers, and if that doesn't help at all I'll move on to the engine..
Anton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1117471-Dscf0080.jpg (74.2 KB, 80 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Huge lack of power on road.

That brake drag could have quite a bit to do with it , but I'd bet it's your gearing . What if you wind it out farther and harder? Does it finally pick it up? Checked the valves to see if they are too tight ? Compression check?
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 12:20 AM

4:10s? My guess is that you have too much tire and not enough gears. Even with the GRSII your hi range is not affected that much. 18% is hardly anything. I'm running 4:30s with a GRSII and only turning 31x10.50s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

With the 33's I come out lower than stock with the 4.10's and GRSII. I still think it's gotta be something else.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 03:26 AM
redzook

i think it has to do with the airodynamics (sp?)

zuks are about as airodynamic as a brick
an with those wider tyres it would be pretty hard to push [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have the equivialent gearing in the tracker, It is almost perfect. (4.10 33's GRS1 automatic 1.6L) hows the compression on the engine? New/older? Fix the brake problem first and go from there.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 01:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might check the vacum advance. If it as a leak it will not advance the timing causing a lack of power. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 06:24 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
(4.10 33's GRS1 automatic 1.6L) hows the compression on the engine? New/older? Fix the brake problem first and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]
[b] Oh yes, the automatic with it's it's torque converter says it all. You guys have an entirely diffrent gear systen and ratio than us gear jammers; therefore what sometimes works for you may not work at akk for us.
Before you throw tons of $$$ at the proplem. try getting some smaller tires, take it for a test drive, and maybe problen solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode