LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2000, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Post deleted by mxnhid

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2000, 07:34 AM
mike shannon

Re: a toyota rear axle

the toy axle are center pumpkin your zuk is offset.it has been done more than once but the drive shaft gets a lot more of a work out. i put a geo tracker rear end in my 88.5[center diff] i get a little bit of vibs at 18 to22 mph. but i picked up the 5.12 gears with no set up work.but if you do not have a welder i would stay away from the swap. plus you would have to match the gear ratio front and rear,might not be possible.all the toy axle swaps i have heard about used both axles off a solid axle toy[85 back] hope the info helps mike

87,88.5 spoa,32.5x11.5 5.12 f&r and the rx7 motor is at the shop hope to get it in soon.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2000, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

With that Toyota IFS Truck Rear axle, you cannot get ring & pinion gear ratio's to match the Suzuki front end (assuming you were planning to leave it in there) While the Toy rear is virtually indestructable in a Samurai, it is Considerably wider than even a Sidekick rear end. Also, the stock spring perches will not line up where you need them to. Lastly, you'd wind up with 6-lug pattern on the rear, and 5-lug on the front [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
I have a set of Toyota straight-axles under my rig, and I really like them--- they suit My needs well, but this swap isn't for everyone. They stick out a lot and you can't get offset wheels to correct it because of the front steering arms. But when you're running 35's, who cares, right? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you're building a BIG Samurai & want to go with Toyota gear, your best bet would probably be to sell all your IFS truck parts & pick you up a set of straight-axles.

HTH
Tim Justice [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2000, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the feedback! Guess whos selling their toyo parts as we speak? Maybe Ill earn enough to buy danna 44rs or whatever it is that Glenn runs under his. I was looking under my rig all gutted out and awaiting a lift, and It seems to me those axles are weak as straw, but I have heard nothing of the sort unless you read that parinoid inspired peice in summit about spring pads that weaken the axle when you weld them. Im gonna build a post-nuclear holocuost bomb proof tank trap eating go any where rig! As soon as I win the lottery or start my own fourwheel drive company. (neither looks to be on my horizon) This summer I will keep you guys posted with the build up and have pictures with reviews from who I use to what I have to do. So far its just research and an engine in the mail. the 1.6td baby! oh yeah.....
My regards to you all, Max

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode