I know theres already a post goin about this but.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I know theres already a post goin about this but..

Ive got a 90 with fi. Its gettin some miles on it now and after several years of high rpm wheelin it will eventually need some work. I had a sidekick with the 16v and loved that motor.

The simple (i hope) question is. Which is better for a mainly offroad rig, that will only run 32's at the most and is gonna be regeared in the tcase. A decently built (cam, head work, header) 1.3 with a weber. I want fi but since you can supposedly make a weber run on some serious angles i would go with a carb. Or say a stock 8 or 16v. How tempermental is a "built" 1.3 in the woods.

Thanks for any help and i apologize for continueing to beat a dead horse on this subject.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 08:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: I know theres already a post goin about this but..

Here's what I can recommend.

Use the entire early (pre-1995) 1.6 8V head, intake and entire TBI assembly. Add a mid-range cam, header and 2" exhaust, and the 1.3L TBI comes alive and really flies.

While not beating him, I "dragged" LuvMyZuki's 1.6 16V, and it did keep pace, knipping at his heels.

Compared to the stock 1.3 TBI, it's got a lot more cohones. Easy mod. Runs just fine. Still a tad bit rick, but we will experiment with timing a bit more, maybe add a adj. cam sprocket. Might also try putting the 1.3L injector into larger bore 1.6 throttle body and see how that does.

And no matter what folks say about carbs, EFI is better. WHen I put mine on it top, it ran for about 3 mins. before I shut it off. Do that with a carb.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Skip

Re: I know theres already a post goin about this b

Don't get me wrong, I like my Weber setup. Howeveer if I had the optioni of my Weber, Thorley, camed 1.3 to a 1.6 TBI, no question 1.6 TBI [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

"WHen I put mine on it top, it ran for about 3 mins. before I shut it off. Do that with a carb."

Tim, don't you know your not supposed to drive upside down? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 05:56 PM

why go backwards with a 1.3
i would go forward with a 16v
or if you want balls go with a 1.3 gti bottom and the the 1.6 head and stay with tbi

you need to talk to sarge
he says he does 7grand all the time
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yea,

The FIRST time i rolled mine. It ended up on its side. We thought it was on fire and then realized it was still runnin but since it was on its side it was smokin. Shut it off, flipped over and started it right back up. Thats why i believe in efi so much.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

When i wheel my shift point is 6500 and my sami is bone stock. In fact i had to unhook my tach one night cuz my buddy kept freakin out when he saw me peggin it like i was. Im not braggin or tryin to offend anyone but in my opinion 7 grand isnt all that big of a deal. I dont know if a 1.3 has a rev limiter from the factory but mine has never had one or at least its never worked.

That gti swap sounds interesting. can i use my factory 90 model tbi. What i really want is more low end torque. Im used to wheelin International harvesters so i prefer torque over horsepower. I dont like HAVING to do 6 and 7 grand to get power, but i want to stay zuk powered so i guess i need to make a compromise somewhere, right?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Is there a website about the gti swap. I like the sounds of the 8v head thing tho.

I hope i didnt offend anyone with my remarks about the 7000 rpm thing. I really wasnt tryin to be a smartass, it jus kinda came out that way.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 09:52 PM
bord

Hey man, I have a 1.6 8-valve with a Weber if you ever want to check it out. If you have FI now you would never be satisfied with a carb. Sarge set up my Weber and its 100 times better than the way they come from Redline but its still not FI, although close [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Go with a 16-valve, Tri-City Auto Parts a.k.a. Proffitt's had 4 or 5 16-valve engines all reasonably priced.

OH, I won't be able to meet you tomorrow but call me on Thursday and hopefully we can meet up about that hood. 669-7131 x222
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Redline has %&(*&%(*^ up 2 of my rearends now. They know what they are doin when it comes to drag cars but they aint got a clue when it comes to sami's. And proffits will rape you. In fact i almost got in a fight at proffits a few years back. Thank goodness dad was there to get me out and keep me calm. The SOB lied to my face that he didnt have something when i was standin next to it. He jus didnt want to sell it to me.

For junkyars around here i use hilltop (they pulled a kick out of the crusher right before it got crushed jus so i could get the front gear) and the one right down from hilltop. They are over in elizabethton.

I talked to a guy at aerotech and he seemed extremely knowlageable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode