About ebay - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

About ebay

I figured out how to start an acount and a sellers account. But i dont understand the fees. Do i pay both the insertion fee and the final value fee or jus one or the other. Also what category should i put my sami parts in.

Thanks for any and all help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: About ebay

Will:

The fees are the fees. How they are applied depends on the fine print. They "happen" based on how you set up your auction.

I put all my auctions in Automotive, accessories, other. Don't worry, though. If you get them into automotive that's nice.

The KEY to it all is the auction title.

ALWAYS include the two magical words "Suzuki" and "Samurai" (or "Tracker" or "Sidekick") in your description. Thay way all of us wanting to buy the doo-dad that we just broke on the trail can easily spot your auction featuring the doo-dad we broke (or something equally desired - like a cool bumper sticker or a nifty videotape ( [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. )
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

What is the best way to "setup my auction" i dont feel like payin 5.75% plus the insertion fee for sumthing that i only made 10 bucks on.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

>"What is the best way to "setup my auction" i dont feel like payin 5.75% plus the insertion fee for sumthing that i only made 10 bucks on."<

There's the rub...

No matter how conservative you are with the features (extra pics, etc.) you always have the basic fees.

Ebay is the place to sell stuff. There is really nothing that has the same marketing power as Ebay.

You have to decide if the price margin is enough to sell bumper stickers for 10 bucks on Ebay. the same goes with water Samurai water pumps and Steering gearboxes.

I sell the ZookiMelt videos on Ebay because one of my target markets are people on the lookout for Samurai parts. It only works for me on a seasonal basis -- right after the Melt until the end of the year (read Xmas). Then Ebay costs go up (relatively speaking - I lose money if an auction ends without a buyer).

In summation, if you have something that you know will sell for more than, say 15 to 25 bucks, to the Samurai community, then Ebay is the place to be. If it does not sell, you take your losses and move on.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 05:31 PM

Just a little advise: Follow some like items on ebay, watch them and see what they are selling for. This is no guarantee however that your part will sell for the same price, then again you may get lucky and it sells for more. If you plan on parting the whole truck, you will make money, even if you let the side marker lights go for 2 or 3 bucks. Always get payment before you ship, ship at the buyers expense, but ship quickly after revceiving payment. Makes for good business and good feedback.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I know that i will get paid for my parts. Thats not a problem. How do i go about getting the money for shipping. Jus have them pay the paypal thing or sent me a seperate money order or jus like i always do and make it cod.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for all the questions.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Shipping! good question!

When you fill out the auction "form", you will be given a choice as to who pays shipping. Choose "buyer pays shipping".

In your desctription text, indicate that "The buyer will pay shipping from ZIP code xxxxx. Shipping cost will be calculated after the end of the auction." or words to that effect.

When the auction is over, immediately email the buyer congratulating him/her on results of the auction and ask him/her for their zipcode so that you can calculate the shipping costs.

When he/she has responded with a zipcode, go to UPS, USPS and FedEx Ground (note that I said "Ground" Their Ground prices are often much cheaper than UPS 3 day ground) websites and calculate the shipping costs based on size, weight and the origin/destination zipcodes. It is always good to give the buyer a choice between various shipping methods, including faster shipping options. They may be out in the boonies or in a big hurry and these factors may affect the shipping costs.

Add the costs of packaging, the shipping costs and the auction price up and email the total figure(s) back to the sucessful bidder.

If they squawk, then TS. But they won't. I've never had anyone complain about shipping cost for the sammy parts I have sold.

The End.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Sounds easy enuf. What does "If they squawk, then TS." mean. Im guessing terminate sale.

Thanks for all your help. It is very much appreciated.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 06:58 PM
Pooh-Bah

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What does "If they squawk, then TS." mean. Im guessing terminate sale.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess "TUFF SHlT" [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Doug, you are the winner! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode