Going diesal ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2000, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Going diesal ??

I really want to build my 87 hardtop into a diesal because I have to replace the engine anyway. I found a 1.6turbo for a whooping 850. nearby allthough I hear they can be found for 250.? I would really like to get the canadian 1.9turbo if im going to do this at all, but I cannot find one. The biggest thing though is that if I pay 300 for an engine itll cost me almost eighthundred and realistically much more to put it in?? Does this seem odd to anyone else? The kit is 800 to put a 250 dollar engine in? I know the gains are fantastic and I look foward to being like a tractor but there must be a cheaper way for a beggining shade tree mechanic. Hmmmm. Any thoughts and Ideas would be a big help. Oh yes, when I do this, itll be mandatory that I lift my rig. I want to drive on 32" tires and I think the Nationals 4" kit would be ok but is this too outdated? should I poney up the bucks for a better kit? My primary use would be to go up hillsides and mud on the east coast, and also do some watercrossings (the snorkel kind) Am I on the right track?
The forum is open to you, I eagerly await your advice and feedback.
Thanks, Max

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2000, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Going diesal ??

Max,
There is more to that kit than meets the eye. Go to
http://www.keltec.com/suzuki.html
And see exactly what it's all about. This swap isn't for everyone, although the end product Must be very Cool.

Regards,
Tim J

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2000, 07:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I too feel that $800 is quite a bit of money to fork out for an engine swap. in the case of the VW TD engine swap I do think that getting the kit from Keltec is the best rout to take. I fyou are good at fabricating stuff then maybe you could do it without the kit, but it seems like a lot of work to me. If you do attempt the swap without a kit then it is a possibility that several months into the swap the $800 price tag won't look so bad after all. One of my friends tried a V8 swap into an S-10 without any brackets or a kit and never did finish it. Just make sure you know what you are getting into before you start the project on your own. As for lifts my choice would be a SPOA lift. You can do one yourself and save money towards the VW TD kit. This is just my opinion. Wish you the best of luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2000, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Yes, since I have to lift it from a stock ride height I have been thinking about what lift to use. I do not rock crawl like the great shots I see in Utah and I wonder if what I want is "right" for my needs. I was speaking with Vaughn @ summit off road this weekend for a really long time, he talked me out of coil over rear in favor of the 4" lift kit from National. It seemed like a great deal when he told me about the quality for the ride. But it IS NOT a SPOA deal, infact it retains the stock design of under the axle and is rumored to be better mannered? I do not know myself, but I do know what I want to do with my sammy once its off the road again. (currently it awaits a new engine and allover rebuild) I want to snorkle thru window deep water with 32" tires on and a 4" lift. I want to climb these muddy shale coated eastern hills and cross these finger creeks that run everywhere. I want to be able to go to my friends property and "landscape" the rose thorn bushes like I used to do in my toyota, and occasionally push over a tree or two, to make room for a trail. I used to hammer my toyo and the dodge ram 50 before it (my favorite so far) but with the sammy I look foward to turning in tight spots. I await the diesal from a shop and have to order that kit from keltic (or summit off road) with the exhaust kit. Mines a hard top, but im looking for a conv. for my girlfriend (yeah right) to drive. I also have to get a winch capable bumper but have no clue what to get again. I can say that the warn one sucked after about 14 trees. I expected more. Any advice is more then wanted, I need it. Plus another question, do I need all those pumpkin hat things?? Thanks unclecletusSR. Anyone else have input? Max

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2000, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 4"er is a great kit. We've had nothing but rave reviews on it. The coil kit is also a great kit too though, but it is more costly. Keep in mind that the 4"er is designed to only fit 31" tires though. You'll have to trim it up with a small body lift to get on top of 32's.

We do carry the Turbo Diesel kit and I'm a sworn believer now that we've been running ours on our vehicle for a couple months now and done some serious wheeling with it. If you have any specific questions regarding the install kit, please feel free to email me direct. My email address is located all over our website.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2000, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Now im confused....Vaughn said that I could get 32"ers under the nationals kit that you sell. I kept the fact in the back of my head that you ran the same springs under your old red sammy. Im new at this but in the last few weeks ive dedicated over 30 hours reading time into many sites including your bio on the college sammy (the tonka?)looking for the best way to build my rig. Origanlly I wanted to go coil with that new super flexy kit. Then im told told that the National kit is the way to go for the price breaking economics decision of what is the best for the buck. I thought I read that your tonka had 33" tires under a national kit? It was in your suspension section featured under the National 4"incher kit with a picture and caption. I need to get a lift soon because my 1.6td is going to be here and I have to get the kit to drop it in but I have to lift it first! So much to do.... Im not looking for the cheapest way out, just the most effective route for the dollar. I have actually tried to call you several times but you are a busy busy busy busy guy. I can understand why to after reading all that you do. Thanks for your feedback Glen, I appreciate what you have to offer. Let me know what you think. Max

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know this is old but... I did my own diesel conv. I made my own adapter and put in a 1.6 vw. it was easy and cheep. I now have a 240d mercedes in it and will sell all my vw convertion stuff cheep. or Ill even tell you how to do it. its easy. the end result is great, if your a diesel lover like I am its the only way....

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Heck yes im interested. Please let me know how much you want and where your shipping from. Why did you change out your one point six? I thought it would be lighter and still had plenty of horse power. I am really interested if it is a turbo. Thanks for the response and keeping me in mind. Max

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r, j**p eater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode