what's the low down on yota axles? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

what\'s the low down on yota axles?

howdy,
yes it is now time for my to start piecen together my winter project for MONZUKI, and this winter i want to try the yota axle route.

so what's the low down on yota axles?

<font color="blue">[*]so what set up are you all running?[*]what would you have done different?[*]what problems did you have?[*]what steering system you running?[*]did you narrow your axles?[*]and is their something i really need to know about this set-up?</font color>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast

Re: what\'s the low down on yota axles?

Hey Jimzuki.. I remember you were running a custom setup in your front zuk axle.. I remember you saying it was 26 spline.. Can i get more info on it? What birfield is it..custom?

Thanks, Scott
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 07:57 PM

Read everthing in here.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=116013
I was actually really surprised how easy it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
the front axle i run in MONZUKI are made by Silver Bullet. they use a 26 spline count the same as the rear third member in replace of the front 24. the birfeilds in the axles i thought were from a toyota front wheel drive car, but now i am think that they are from a subaru wagon, but i'm not totally for sure. i have had no problem with them, except from breaken the lower weight rated warn fuses. at the present time i am running stock hubs with no problem, but need to order 2 set of fuse for my warn hubs. at one time Sillet bullet were going to start maken float rear axles but since then they have went into hiden. i bought them off figmo at roadlessgear, and have talk with him about where silver bullet has gone to and all he told me is that they were going to hold off for awhile. the axles are mostly like the ones TT and Calmini sell, but i would still perfer to have the Silver Bullet products, because i have never had a problem with anything that i have got from them. i truely hope this helps ya out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 08:29 PM

Jim, Im rebuild a front pickup axle and rear L/C axle currently, Im running rockrat hy steer arms in front, and maybe a welded rear. with this I plan to run YJ suspension kit..everyone seems to be going the hysteer arm route tho, hope this helps...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 08:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ready to start writting toy axle faqsStock Toyota front axle measurements for comparison:
55.5" wide, 29" spring perch centers, '79-85 Toyota trucks and 4runners
63.5" wide, (set up for coil springs) 90-97 FJ80 and FZJ80 Landcruisers
'86-95 IFS front end is about 58.5" wide
'93-98 T100 IFS front end is about 65" wide

Toyota Rear Axle Widths:
55" wide, '79-85 trucks/4runners
58" wide, '86-95 trucks/4runners
60.75" wide, '95.5-up Tacomas/4runners
66.75" wide, '93-98 T100 trucks
Axle part weights
Inner long axle 41" 17.5#
Inner short akle 12.5#
3rd member 47#
stock tie rod 10#
BARE FRONT TOY HOUSING 50#
Brake lines
Brakes use the same threaded fittings, 10mm X 1.0. For the front, use Napa brake line #38688, approx 22-23" long with a female connector at each end, connect one to the Zuk hard line, one to the Toyota caliper (if you already have extended brake lines for your Suzuki, you don't need to buy new ones). For the rear the same line can be used to go between the hard line on the frame and the hard line on the axle.
Steering
Flat top knuckles. With the stock knuckles you can easily make or buy a steering setup that puts the tie rod and drag link above the springs. Note: If you want to use a hi-steer setup you will have to move your steering box forward. A standard crossover setup will allow you to keep your steering box in the stock location

Rear spring pads need to move in n1" on each side
Another problem is the drivers side spring perch is lower than the passenger side perch. Apparently Toyota uses a stiffer spring to compensate. To get the front end level I figure you'll need to weld a 3/4" spacer to the drivers side spring perch (I tried 3/8 and it's not enough). Almost forgot, to correct the front pinion angle I originally tried using caster shims, problem there was it raised the spring in relation to the steering arms causing an interference with the drag link and tie rod.

On the front brakes the calipers have a hard line that runs to a mount on the backing plate, then from there a soft line to the frame. If you get the chance, slot the mount on the backing plate so you can slide the hard line (attached to the caliper) out of the bracket when you do front end service. This way the caliper can be move aside or hung from the soft line.

On the front axle instead of outboarding your springs just drill a hole in the pad 3/8" outward for your center pins.
Steering can be done with either Hi-steer arms or standard x-over.. plenty of venders have what you would need just a matter of taste

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode