Whiney Transmission? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2000, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Whiney Transmission?

I recently bought another Samurai at a good price. Everything on the vehicle seems to be OK and all of the fluids are clean and full. The only problem is a whining sound, which I assume is coming from the transmission. It doesn't occur in first or second, but it starts a little in third. Fourth and fifth gears are the most noticeable. When I depress the clutch pedal the noise almost completely goes away, but I can still hear something until I stop moving. The whine is not that loud, I just want to fix it. FYI-- the Zuk is a '92 with 86,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2000, 08:30 AM

Re: Whiney Transmission?

... got the same problem on a 95 softtop w/ 35k miles...

it is more noticable at higher speeds, the whine's pitch only changes w/ speed but not w/ engine revs, its only noticable when there is "force" on the diff, (e.g. accelerating or engine braking) - thats why i am guessing the rear-diff /ring/pinon area is involved

its not really annoying, but its there... and it sounds like the whine you get in reverse (but far less pronounced)

... are we talking about the same thing??? )

bye
Alfred

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2000, 02:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Usually transmissions last quite a bit longer than that. Check your gear oil level. If its good, then your bearing are going bad. Do a rebuild on it before one schrapnels on your and takes out your gears..... then it gets REALLY expensive. Been there, done that.

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2000, 10:43 PM

if the bearing is bad, would a GRS I be the cure (does it come w/ a NEW bearing???)

thanks
alfred

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2000, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

GRS1 would only work if you have a bad bearing in the transfer case, not the transmission.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2000, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Before you drop your transmission, I would look into your U-joints. The problem (and sounds) that you are describing sound like what my brother and I had in our vehicles. My brothers would make really crappy sounding noises like something was scrathcing the crap out of his tranny. He was about to pull it all apart again, but first he checked the U-joints on his drivelines and that was the problem. So I would check them first. Even though it may seem like a pain in the butt if it ends up not being the problem, it's a lot better than having it be the other way around (drop tranny and it was relly the U-joints.) Plus it's not a bad idea to replace them every once in a while, especially if they are the originals. That's just my opinion though, maybe it will save you a lot of trouble in the end. Good Luck.

Remember the first rule in the Mountain Man Handbook: It's a long way to the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode