My car is smoking - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 03:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My car is smoking

After heading up a somewhat steep hill (2WD/rear locker/tires sliping somewhat) that is a little longer (takes about two minutes to get up) my car starts smoking. It does ok on hills that are steeper and shorter, but when I get to the top of the hill discribed, smoke comes rolling out when I open the hood. I have actually tracked the problem to the CAT. Is it clogged? My weber still runs a little rich (which I know increases as you head up a hill), which could be the problem, but still that is a lot of smoke for a two minute climb. Any experiences, advice? Thanks guys for all the help so far.

Marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 05:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: My car is smoking

Muffler shop will install a pressure gage in exhaust pipe to test for pluged cat. Is your sami over heateng? Sounds like steam caused by bad clutch fan or plugged radiator.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The engine itself never over heats. The highest I have ever seen the temp gauge go up to was just above the middle mark between the cold mark, and hot mark. The engine never gets hot at all, just the cat.

marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my guess is that you have it pretty much floored all the way up that hill. that would dump a lot of unburned fuel into the cat that has to be burned there. and with relatively little forward motion as compared to the fuel it has to burn, the cat would heat up like hell and not have much air flow past it to take away the heat. is there an oil leak near it that may be smoking from the heat of the cat?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2000, 12:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, being in first gear in the low range, I don't push the pedal much at all. I don't think that there is an oil leak, but I will check. It doesn't smell like oil smoke, and it only does it on longer hills. Shorter, MUCH steeper hills pose no problem.

Marcus

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2000, 05:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your cat is getting hot it could be cooking the paint above it. A rich carburator will kill the cat by getting it too hot and melting the brick of catalist. Could lean out your webber a little. I have wondered if the little air pump from a metro would help passing a emissions test on a sami.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2000, 05:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also, when the car is running and I punch the gas and rev it a little, gas spirts out the tail pipe. After hitting the throttle like that a few times, the ground under my tail pipe is wet with gas. I assume this is just the carb running rich. How can I lean it out? I got a fuel pump regulator, but doesn't seem to make any difference. Let me know.

Thanks

marcus

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2000, 10:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

that stuff spitting out the tailpipe is most likely just water vapour. i can't see unburned liquid fuel making it to the tailpipe, and water vapour is a byproduct of the combustion process anyway. it's full of toxic nasties too, of course.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2000, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I like that idea, just water. So do other peoples samurais do the same thing? thanks for the advice and info guys, keep it coming.

Marcus

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2000, 02:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

H2O dripping from the tailpipe is just condensation taking place when the engine is warming up. You don't see it once the engine is at operational temperature, or do you? You shouldn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode