hard clutch pedal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 05:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hard clutch pedal

my old clutch was very hard to push in. i ended up ruining a cluch cable. so i put a new one in. but still hard to push. i burnt my clutch out and installed a new one. it is a little better but still hard to push in. what is wrong with it. my two brothers have the same problem. thanks for the help.
oh yeah. .. the clutch is a cheepy from autozone. if that makes a difference. i installed everything new. .. throwout bearing pressure plate.

88 sam locked 33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: hard clutch pedal

The term hard is subjective so it is can't tell if it is normal. If it is about the same as brothers trucks using the same parts then I would consider it normal.
I find my sami's clutch pedal effort is light. Heavy duty clutch with stronger spring will make clutch pedal effort much harder for a system designed for a weak spring. Could be that companies spring is heavier than stock. Can also be in details of clutch linkage. Ruff not lubricated surface that the throw out bearing is riding on (transmission input shaft seal retainer). Worn out
bushings in clutch pedal. Mud, sand or dirt in the clutch linkage at the transmission.

Hydraulic clutch linkage will reduce pedal effort of heavy duty clutches.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

when i say hard i mean more on the lines of bidding up. i did lubricate the shaft that the throwout bearing rides on. and like i said it is a new clutch cable and acted this way from when i first installed it. so there isn't any sand or anything in it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 02:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know your new clutch cable came lubricated. What I was refering to is the shaft with the 2 levers which move the throw out bearing has bushings and seals at each end. Bad seals allowing dirt into the bushing bearing area can be a problem. Your clutch peddel rides on 2 plastic bushings which are less likly to have problems but could be a source of extra friction. It is more likly that your none stock clutch parts are using a diaphram sping with higher clamping force for some reason giving you a heavy duty clutch. The only way to tell is check every thing else is ok then asume it is the diaphram.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i will have to take my tranny out sometime and check the bushings on the throwout bearing thingy. i checked the clutch pedal and that is all good. thanks for the help.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

so i assume that the pedal works nicely with the cable disconnected. not really a valid test because there's no load, but it helps. is it possible the cable has been routed incorrectly under the hood? maybe a sharp bend in there somewhere that it shouldn't have.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2000, 11:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes the pedal works fine when disconnected. the cable is routed alright.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2000, 12:35 PM
Old Hand

I have a aftermarket clutch (advanced auto) in my 88.5 and it is very hard to push also. I have a new clutch cable also. I know it's not normal because a friend of mine has an 88.5 and his clutch is very easy to push compared to mine. I've learned to live with it. The clutch arm (under the dash) broke recently. I'm sure all of the extra stress from the clutch being so stiff is why the arm broke. I now carry a spare just in case it breaks again.

How stiff are the CenterForce clutches?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2000, 05:14 PM

Jbird,
I have a Centerforce clutch (not the dual friction) in my Samurai and the pedal effort is about the same as a stock clutch.It has held
up well to a 1600 conversion for 2 years.I took my tranny out last week and took the opportunity to inspect the clutch,I found virtually no
wear.I don't know if this clutch is an improvement over a O.E.M. unit but it's probably cheaper.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2000, 02:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put a new cable in from Hawk Suzuki as a matter of preventative maintenance. The original cable had 178K on it. The new one worked fine for several months and then it started squalking and pushing hard. I went over the connections, pedal bearings, everything. Nothing fixed it. I put the Suzuki cable back in and it worked great. I think the new one must have started coming apart internally. I am saving it as a spare. I should probably price a new $uzuki part. Ouch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode