NEED ENLIGHTEMENT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

NEED ENLIGHTEMENT

I'm used to toyotas. I've owned 8 of them since I was 18 years old (32 yrs old now) and done everything in the book to them.. On the toyota, the backing plate and the brake assembly is one unit with the axle. On my samurai the backing plate and brake assembly come off of the axle housing and are free from the axle. The axle goes through it, but it's not connected at all. So if the rim bolts to the drum, and the drum bolts to the axle, But the backing plate is free from the shaft it self, how does the axle shaft stay in the housing? I'm afraid to start yanking on the axles until I'm sure that's how it's supposed to be. Maybe I'm confused.
Please enlighten me!!!
thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 07:23 AM
mike shannon

Re: NEED ENLIGHTEMENT

the backing plates hold the axle bearings in,they are pressed on the axles. i just use a chain and a sledge hamer to pop the axles out,after you take the bolts out of the backing plate.hope this helps mike.

87,88.5 spoa,32.5x11.5 5.12 f&r and the rx7 motor is at the shop hope to get it in soon.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 08:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

'Bear,
The Suzuki & Toyota rear axles are very similar in design. The wheel bearing retains the drum backing plate, and the plate acts as the bearing retainer on the housing like someone has mentioned. To remove a rear axle, just take the drum off & turn it around. Run a couple of lug nuts on the studs & presto-- instant slide hammer [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
FYI: I have Toy axles under my Samurai

Regards,
Tim J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Wow! I am going to eventualy put toy axles under mine too. How did you get the drive shafts to line up with the diffs.? Thanks for the advice on the other suff too. If you want to see my project, go here
www.geocities.com/spodeboy2000

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 04:27 PM
mike shannon

i am running a sidekick rear under my 88.5 with spoa so far the only problem is a vib. at 18 to 22 mph. it has been in for 5000 mi. no problems and i drive it 100 mi. a day.i did extend the slip joint on the drive shaft 2 in.but it was by far the cheapest way to go to 5.12s total cost 150.00 bucks.got the front 3rd member for 50.00,paid 100.00 for the rear,got the yoke turned down to fit 1.5 in. tubing over a 1.5 in. area then parted it in half. slipped it in to the tubing and welded it up.but i got that idea from trail tough.only hang up is i am to tight to buy the parking brake kit from spider trax,but i am thinking about it.good luck mike.

87,88.5 spoa,32.5x11.5 5.12 f&r and the rx7 motor is at the shop hope to get it in soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode