Think my starter died :( - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Think my starter died :(

Well I think my poor starter finally died last night.

I had installed the relay fix to cure the worsening clicky problem it was giving. Worked great for a while and then I noticed that the starter wouldn't disengage sometimes after the engine started. I thought the relay may be fried so I unplugged it and went back to clicky. Got a new relay yesterday, worked like a champ, drove to buddies shop, installed my spool (yea!! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) and started it up....starter keeps spinning again. We went to a little proving grounds to test spool and the starter finally died. No click, no nothing, just a lot of draw on the battery [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Now I'm finding out how expensive these things are
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:34 AM

Re: Think my starter died :(

Had a similar problem a couple weeks ago. No click, no nothing. Cleaned the battery posts (which were not very coroded) and she now starts right up.

Try cleaning them with a little Baking Soda and water and see if it helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a good stock starter in my garage...$45.00 plus shipping...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a good stock starter in my garage...$45.00 plus shipping...Or you can go to a starter shop and have them rebuild it for you using mitsu parts to make it beefier.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 12:17 PM
SPAMurai

the insides of starters often get gunked up, causing the stickyness. try taking it off, take it somewhat apart, clean it, and reassemble after lubing it up.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Veteran

Taking it apart and cleaning everything plus checking all your grounds from the battery to it and the firewall is worth a shot.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Cool I'll give it a look this weekend. I think it's been dieing a slow long death cause 1st was clicky, then the sticking and now nothing but it's certainly worth effort to look at it.

Satchmo thanks for offer. I think I'm covered. If I don't get it fixed myself I'll either get rebuilt or a j/y starter local.

I'm just annoyed cause I was supposed to go wheeling tomorrow and try out the spool [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Update..since I'm bad at trouble shooting starters. With or without external relay I get a click the 1st time or 2 I try and start and then nothing (bbig power drain). I shorted the 2 posts and starter spins up no problem. Is this pointing to a stuck or bad solenoid?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 03:08 PM

Sounds like you might be in the process of killing the ignition starter switch or the safty interlock on
the clutch pedal. if its the ignition sw I hear of the wires melting out of the switch commonly.

If your jumpering at the soloniod and it spins that indicates the solonoid should be good, BUT it might
be bypassing power through the ignition switch/relay, which will burn them out. Suzuki really screwed
up the solonoid design as if it starts getting resistance at the main power contacts, it also starts
to suck cranking power through the actuation circuit, burning it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode