How does a sammi compare to a ------- - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

How does a sammi compare to a -------

Since i have sold my 85 chev,and bought my stock LWB 87 sammi, my friends with there 1/2 tons 4x4 s have been ribbing me every day with my little tonka as they call it.

I was just wondering,when i get it out of the garage with the spring over,GRS1,and 31/10.5/15 mud tires if i will be able to follow the BIG trucks that are on 31,33 and 35 inch mud tires.

We generlly just ride on old logging roads with some hills ,mudholes,and ditch's nothing really hardcore.

Anyway a least i will be able to get them back with the gas mileage thing,because my chev really liked sucking up the gas,of course a heavy right foot did not help. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Be posting some pics of my sammi and the tires i want on it soon.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1114899-4x4.jpg (80.4 KB, 83 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 07:38 AM

Re: How does a sammi compare to a -------

I think you are going to find it boring having to sit around and wait on those guys. If you lock the front and rear, after one wheeling trip, they won't ever rib you again. You will become "King Tonka" after the first trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 07:40 AM

Everyone of the guys likes to talk smack about my zuk ...until we hit the trailhead .After that they seem to respect the zuks capabilities a little more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 08:23 AM
SPAMurai

i think you'll find that you can go anywhere you want to with that setup, while your buddies will be left behind. LWB sammys are sweet too - can't get 'em here in the states! one thing you may consider for your setup is a rear locker. good luck!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:20 AM

I got a lot of ribbing before I took my samurai out the first time. Now I have friends who want to leave their full size at home and ride shotgun with me. By the way, my drivetrain is stock. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 10:06 AM

In bogs where there are deep ruts made by the big trucks' huge tires - try to go around these ruts. You could be asking for trouble trying to follow directly behind them the big trucks. But yours is so light in comparison that if you take a different line you can seemingly "float' above the bog and literally drive circles around them as they sit there stuck in the mud.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 10:10 AM

My previous hunting truck was a lifted, converted (to 4x4) 66 Ford full size, with 24" of clearance to the
lower body rockers. I have been able to get to places I couldn't even consider in my basically stock
84 SJ410.

During the first trip we got to so many places previously unaccessable that at every new obstical, we
would pause, look at each other and say " Why? Because we can!" I have yet to stick the Sami and
I can't say that about the Ford. The only thing I miss is the ability to throw a nearly unlimited amout of
stuff in the bed, but thats all. I have spent some time planning how to go smaller, lighter, more compact,
with my camping and hunting gear, but thats actually a fun challange.

One aspect that may or may not apply to your terrain is the ability to get thru narrow places. Places I
would have stripped paint off of both sides at a minimum, I can usually navigate without touching either
side.

After a couple of trips expect your buddies, or at least some of them, to be on the market for a zuk.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 10:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A locker will definetly help in the traction department, and doesn't hurt to bad in the wallet or on the road.

I've made a lot of believers with my little Samurai, and that was before the 33" swampers and gearing.

Just be careful trying to pull other trucks out of the mud and such. It's a quick way to a burnt clutch.

Oh, and when you're comfortable with your capabilities in the Sammy, have them play follow the leader. You'll quickly find places they can't even fit through.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 10:46 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Just be careful trying to pull other trucks out of the mud and such. It's a quick way to a burnt clutch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. And remember their trucks are at least three times heavier than yours and if they are stuck in mud they'll be near impossible to budge with your feather-light Sammy. Let one of the other big trucks do the extracting. The advantage, of course is that it doesn't matter how stuck you might be, their heavy trucks will pull you out with ease.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heck, I was pulled out of the mud by a 4x4 ATV once... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I usualy let others do the pulling and take snapshots of the action. If it's another Sammy, or something similiarly sized I'll hook up without any qualms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode