speedo cable - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

speedo cable

Maybe some of you can lend some help:
the other day I'm driving, the odometer hits 75,001 miles and then I notice the speedo and the odometer aren't working. The cable has come loose and begun clicking in this '96 Tracker and both my older Samurais. So the next day I disassemble the dash to reconnect the cable end. In removing the cluster, the cable became entirely disconnected. So I put it back on securely then, before reassembling the dash, set off down the road and discover the speedo still isn't working.

I discovered:

1. the cable end isn't turning on its own.
2. the cable end does rotate -- and clicks -- if I press the speedo-end of the cable into the cable housing while driving.
3. Later, I removed the under-body end of the cable and discovered some gear oil leaking out and what landed on the pavement had what appeared to be little ground up bits of plastic. It could have been something that was already on the ground or it could have been something else, but it appeared like what happens when you drill into plastic -- little ground up bits of something.

A new cable from a local dealership -- a "genuine GM part" -- is $38. I'd hate to fork this out if this isn't the problem but I don't see it being something else. The speedo needle moves very easily when I rotate the area where the cable goes in. The cable itself moves freely in the housing. I think it's merely a coincidence everything quit at 75,001 miles. Advice? Guidance?

Thanks.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 11:21 PM

Re: speedo cable

I replaced my cable with a Beck-Arnley part number 091-1745 from a local independant parts dealer. Cost me $22.93 and works fine. The only problem I had was the o-ring at the trans was too tight a fit on the new cable and I swapped it out with the old one which seems too loose! My original cable ( inner core ) had broken in half. If I recall correctly you can grab the drive shank portion of the cable at the trans & use a drill to spin it and check the cable out before you buy a new one. Gook luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Clicker.
Sounds like what happened to me.
Appreciate the B-A part number, too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 07:00 AM

The P.N. I gave is one for an '88 Samurai, don't know if they are interchangable with Trackers/ Kicks. Forgot to point that out in the first post. Hope it helps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 10:25 AM

They used to sell universal inner cables that used a crimp on end piece at one end. If the housing isn't
damaged they work fine. Cut to length, crimp and reassemble. lots easier than replaceing the whole
cable housing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Re: speedo cable ATTN !!! Wayne

Wayne:

I tried sending a PM but the forum said it couldn't proceed. Many thanks for the tip on the universal speedo cable. Picked it up the other day for $3.97 at Autozone. It beats the $38 cost for a new housing and cable.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode