help!! engine not running right... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

help!! engine not running right...

well...a buddy and i were playing around with my zuk motor tonight and cant quite get it to run right...

it wont idle at all....after pumping the hell outta the carb it will fire and wont run under 2000 rpm....as soon as i let of the gas pedal it instanly dies...

we tried swapping the carb.....no change....tried a different coil.....no change.....

im thinking possibly the centrifugal advance in the distributor is fubar...but that wouldnt explain why it wont idle...

any ideas? im stumped?...ecm maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 11:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: help!! engine not running right...

Pull the cap, and see if the rotor is able to swing against the springs . They do get crapped up if they sit too long , the grease gets old on the pins and they stick . Not too hard to clean up and regrease, just mark and note everything's place...
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 01:26 AM
Journeyman

You could also check that your idle fuel solenoid is plugged in. If you forget to plug that in it won't idle at all, and you can spend ages trying to figure out why...
Go on, ask me how I know...

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Vacuum leak somewhere is what it sounds like to me.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

ok....

let me try to explain this better....

when you crank the engine and pump it a few times...it will fire over....it will rev up to about 3,000 rpm then come back down like someone turned off the key......if you pump the hell out of it it will come back and do the same thing....if let go it will just come back down and shut off like you turned off the key.....no spitting no chugging no sputtering....just shut off....

i pulled the cap...the contacts were corroded so i cleaned then....no change.....tried swapping out carb....no change....tried swapping out ECM....no change.....i twisted the rotor in the dizzy and it feels ok....i have one with bad springs so i got the idea of what it should feel like...

ive checked...double checked....and triple checked the vaccum lines.....make sure they are all in the correct places and no leaks and everything is just fine there...(i got an FSM on cd)

everything under the hood is wired correctly and everything is plugged in. im thinking its electrical just with how quick it shuts off.....cant be carb since i swapped them with no change in the way the engine is acting.....

all the plugs are fairly new and looked good when pulled....plug wires are ok.

i also forgot to mention it has excellent compression.....130-135psi on all cylinders

any ideas?!?!?!?!?!?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 06:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what about a vacuum leak from your intake, carb adapter plate, exhaust....lots of other places for vacuum leaks besides the lines....just an idea...I had a similar problem and it was a vacuum leak everything else was great...also what about the pvc....get carb cleaner and spray it around to see if it runs better if it does then you have a leak.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:00 PM

Hey Freebird! I may only have a "little" zuk, but it runs [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'll be right over, let's race! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Seriously, I went through about the same thing with mine. A toy carb fixed it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

satch i can garantee you its not a vac. leak.....ive already went through all those measures to figure that out....

toy...thats just mean man..... lets see you recovery from having all your organs transplanted at the same time right away with no quirks or complications [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

it wont be too long till i get this thing going again.....ive been conversing with a few people and we seem to think its a fuel problem....so tomorrow im gunna drain the tank and put a new filter on it and fresh gas and see if that makes a difference

J
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:58 PM

Have you tried pulling the fuel line to carb off and turning engine over to see if pump is working good?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 10:31 PM
Journeyman

Does your Zuk have a ballast resistor in the ignition circuit?? If so a buggered balast or a problem with that circuit will cause what you describe...

Starts ok, because ballast resitor is bypassed when starting, then, as soon as you let off the key the ignition goes though the ballast resistor and the motor dies.

I've had this before, but not on my Zuk, as shes a '85 and hasn't got a ballast resitor.

I just re-read your post, and I think you mean is will keep running if you pump the throttle? Right? If so, it's probably not the ballast.

I also had a similar problem to this when my idle jet got blocked with some crud. I just won't idle, and hardy runs at all below about 1500rpm. Goes fine above that though.

After I cleaned the idle jet out it went fine (after I figured out I hadn't plugged the idle fuel shutoff solenoid back in.)

Could also be a dodgy fuel pump not supplying enough fuel, low float levels, or like everyone says, vacuum leaks.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode