Welders - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welders

In looking into some Welders. It is a wall plug in wire feed welder for around 200 dallars most I seen weld up to 3/16 thick metal on one pass and some 1/4 inch on one pass of mild steel. I am new to welding Will this be good for welding SPOA and the frame and such.

1. will the welder be all i need?
2. What does in mean by single pass mean.
3. Also what is included with mild metal SPoa pads, Frames.
4. If i get this will i be able to weld on SPOA pads make some customer sliders.

Could you please help would like to buy one soon. In two weeks will be welding the body but would like to be able to do SPOA later on.

LOCO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Welders

1 It could be all of the welder you will need. What model are you talking about. Welders are like 4X4 there is always a better
model to buy. Buy a name brand that you can buy parts for is best.

2. A single pass is one weld bead on one side of the metal. Thicker material can require welding on both sides and multipass welds to get full strength of base metal.

There is a limited amount of power that you can draw from a 110V 20 amp outlet.
You can draw more power from a 220 volt single phase outlet then you need 3 phase power. High amp welders cost more money. A stick welder can weld thicker material for less money. MIG welders are better for thin sheet metal and having ability to use shielding gas gives you cleaner welds, is better on sheet metal than flux core wire.

TIG welders cost more but are more versatile. also take more skill.

Buy a auto darkening welding helmet to make you a better welder faster.

Welding aluminum takes more power because it conducts heat better than steel.

A small wire feed welder can weld most everything on a Sami if you have the skill. For real critical welds such as the spring
pads wait until you gain the skill or have a pro do the welding. With a wire feed welder it is possible to make welds that look
strong but are not. Lay weld beads on metal like tooth paste and just as strong. Practice and braking welds to test strength is
needed to progress in skill. Best to take a welding class.

Oxygen/acetylene gas welders are a good way to start welding. You have lots of control with that process and weld slow
which is good for a beginner.

sci.engr.joining.welding is the news group for welding
FAC at metalwebnews.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the infomation. I was going to take a welding clas before i do springpads. thanks for the info.

Loco

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 05:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personally, I'd consider the Lincoln 130 amp welder. It's about $450. You can use gas/solid core. Lincoln/Miller make among the best wire-feed welders. There is a BIG difference between how the cheap welders weld and how the nicer ones weld. I know because I started on a cheapie and welded with one for years till one day I used a buddy's Miller. I was stunned at the difference. If you go to your local welding shop they will probably let you try out a demo model. The best thing is if you ever need parts you can always get them immediately for a Lincoln/Miller. And I know two guys that had problems with their welders that had to jump through a lot of hoops to get fixed. Something to consider.

BTW, a lot of local welding supply shops can be just as competitive as mail order outfits. Generally if you buy locally they take care of you down the road. Good luck,

MLG

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 09:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a Lincoln 125 sp nice machine but costs more than what you are talking about. Miller makes some nice machines. Check out each company's web site. If you get a wire feed welder make sure it can be adapted to using shielding gas.

Maxstar 140 is a nice little stick welder capable of tig welding but lacking a remote amp control. Word is next year it will be available with a remote plug. Electronic based welders such as this inverter based welder are pricey.
http://www.millerwelds.com/getprod.p...xstar_140.html

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/
http://www.millerwelds.com/
http://209.41.55.91/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode