Re: OX TRAX locker for Samurai? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Re: OX TRAX locker for Samurai?

Does any one know if they make a locker for a sammie? I can not seem to pull up thier web site for any info.If somebody does have one how much did it cost and how do you like it? [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 08:16 PM

As far as I know they don't. Also, rumor has it, they may not be around much longer. Their quality control was marginal at best, and the cable problems they were having didn't help much either. Now the word is they are having cash flow problems. Most of the local vendors here in Southern Cla. have discontinued their line of products due to slow or no delivery and lack of replacment parts. The general consesnus of opinion is good concept, but flakey Co. Unless someone else buys the design and runs with it, the only selectable out now that I know of for Zukes is ARB.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 10:17 PM

Last I read they were going to offer a eletric solenoid engaged shifter . I like that concept .No adjusting cables! They are agreat product ...but I have heard they were having some troubles too. bummer [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 07:20 AM
weirdwillie

I don't know about the quality, but I do know that the shifting mechanism is an integral part of the diff cover (i.e., you have to replace the stock diff cover with the Ox Locker diff cover, which contains the shifting fork). Since Samurais don't have a removable diff cover, they would have to come up with some other design. Also, I saw the electric solenoid locker, but it is basically the same concept as the cable-activated Ox Locker. Instead of a cable activating the shift fork in the diff cover, you have a solenoid that moves the shift fork.

I did see a selectable electric locker recently that had an internal locking mechanism (i.e., no shift fork needed). However, I think there were still wires that needed to be run to the diff. I can't recall the name of the locker though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 08:05 AM

Was it the Electrac form Detroit Locker/TracTech? It operates as LSD until activated and then its fully locked . It works on a magnet I think . I think they are only made for a 60,44,and AMC 20 as of yet .
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 09:32 AM
Addict

When I was living in Germany I went to a 4wd trade show and they had a selectable locker for the Samurai. It was much like the factory "locker" that came stock on all SJ410s sold in Germany. Basically, one axle was always receiving power while the other didn't have any power in the open configuration. To my best of memory, to make it locked, a sleeve slid over (via a cable) and it locked the disengaged axle into the diff. Then you basically had a spool. It was all mechanical but it was very pricey. But nearly all aftermarket stuff in Germany is $$$ because of all of the legal paperwork and high labor costs. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

good point on the shifter fork and the diff cover, did not think of that. I wonder if it would be possable to do a simple cable locker for a third member. Or if they were/are available in germany it would be interesting to see how it is done?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 11:58 AM

Anyway you do it, selectable lockers are expensive.

Besides ARB another way to go (especially if you do your own install) is to swap in a toy truck axle. With a little mod to the housing you can fit in the toy factory electric locker used in 4-runners and Land Cruisers. Price wise it would be a wash against an ARB if you could get the toy e-locker used or cheap.

Just my 2 cents. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

Paul
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 02:22 PM
SilverZuk

KAM differentials Ltd of England used to make a cable actuated selectable locker for the Samurai and Rovers.
I used to have a link, but I just checked it and it doesn't work.

They were high dollar.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 02:24 PM
SilverZuk

Here's a link.
http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~kamdiffs/dfflksuz.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode