electical problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2000, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

electical problem

My 87 doesn't do much in the summer months so it sometimes sits for a couple of weeks. I went out to start her the other day and of course dead battery, the battery that was in was about 3-4 yrs. old so i charged it and everything ok. Except the lights on dash,battery, brake and sensor lights stayed on this has never happened before.I thought maybe because of weak battery. Car sat for a couple of weeks and again dead battery so i figure bad battery, i have put new one in and lights still on ANY THOUGHTS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: electical problem

Check that you don't have a bad earth somewhere. Having a bad earth can produce unpredicatable results. Also check that all of your electrical relays are operating fine and that the current from the battery is heading the proper direction to all of your components.

If you're unsure of how to do any of this I strongly suggest you get an auto-electrician to look into the problem for you.

One other thing you could try is that if you're battery is going dead after the car is off and keys are out then why not disconnect the battery? If it draining while everything is off then you almost certainly have an earth problem. I had one. It was my right hand indicator (located in the body of the car). a mate disconnected it and pushed back inside towards the engine bay so we could sand it down ready for paint. However, he didn't reconnect it while it was sitting in the engine bay and one of the wires was touching the body which inturn drained my battery over the next few days without me realising until it was too late....

hope this has helped and good luck.

'85 SuziSkip
1.6 22R off it's rocker
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 07:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: electical problem

Sounds like a bad relay or maybe a lot less likely bad ignition switch. As Skippy said a loose, missing, corroded ground can do some strange things as electricity finds a path some place. Called a ground loop. Check if ignition switch disconnects switched power.

You can disconnect the ground wire and put a meter reading amps between the ground wire and the battery ground post. Old mechanics would use a small 12 volt lamp in a socket wired with test leads the same way and say they had a problem if the lamp lit with the ignition switch off. Now go to the fuse box and start disconnecting fuses until problem load goes away. Note that some of the fuses recieve switched power and should have none with the key out of ignition switch. Unplug each relay next and even the computer. Then start disconnecting things without a fuse or switch. Lots of luck or time required. One area to
look closely at is last place you worked on the sami dealing with electricity.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode