power steering suggestions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2000, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

power steering suggestions

would like to add power steering to my 88 samurai but the kit costs seem awfully high will a sidekick power steering unit be worth the work . I can get the parts I need for about $175 any suggestions appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2000, 08:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: power steering suggestions

I use the sidekick set-up because it came free with my 1.6 engine, I wasnt expecting much but it is great, now I can't live without it! It is not as strong as some of the other options, but I havent had a problem in over 2 years and run 33" tires and lockers and it turns easier than my friends stock samurai. It sounds like the price is right,go for it!
also, it is not alot of work, Calmini makes a great kit

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2000, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

does anyone know if the sidekick power streering units are all the same this one is from an 89

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2000, 01:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They are the easiest to do yourself. Was a how to in the suzuki tec section of off-road.com . Think it was Scott Gomez who wrote it and don't think he used a kit. Glen seems to think they are real wimpy if you check out his site. Sidekick power steering might be OK if you are using stock tires but could wimp out with larger tires. Not every one needs cost no object bulletproof upgrades.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I use the toyota steering on our 2 suzuki's, plus I've installed it on a few other rigs, we build our own bolt on braketry. I like it, the parts cost about 50 dollars at the u pull, and won't ever break down. My friend runs 35's with the suzuki stuff, can't turn unless moving. We can turn 33's on pavement no prob. The braketry I use costs 150...you deal with the drag link issue..

Sky.
85 ext cab, camo, flatbed, external cage, 1/4 elliptic, locked, swampers, air, etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I drove a Zuk at Zukfari this year (it is alled Suki Sue) with Sidekick power steering.... didn't even feel like it had it.

The owner of that vehicle drove my Zuk with the Toyota system and she couldn't get over the difference. In her words.... "You just sit back with a ciggarette in one hand and a Vodka in the other and this thing drives itself". Meanwhile, I was in her rig wrestling with the weakest power steering system ever made for an automotive application, the Sidekick.

Avoid the Sidekick system if at all possible.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 06:38 PM

Although the Sidekick power steering isn't as powerfull as the Toyota conversion it is a vast improvement over manuel steering.
If you're going wheeling in the rocks with big tires the Toy system is the way to go.For moderate wheeling the Sidekick PS is more
than adequate.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode