Off Roading Forums banner

Replacing Head Gasket

319 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
This is on my XJ, I'm replacing the head gasket on the 4.0 liter and had a few questions. Haven't gotten any responses yet on JeepsUnlimited so I thought I would try here...

Got all the parts I think I need, except for the gas line quick-connects.

Problem is that the engine has been sitting for several days and has a light coating of rust on it. Most of it came off yesterday when I cleaned the old gasket off the head. How should I get the rest off?

It's a light surface rust, and is most noticable where the old gasket failed.

Also I've read conflicting information on whether to use any type of gasket sealer on the head gasket. I have the permatex copper spray stuff but aren't sure whether to use it or not.

Thanks...
Keith

#2 ·
Did ya get a factory replacement gasket? I've seen some problems with the aftermarket ones. Just make sure to use a scotch brite pad on a 90 degree die-grinder head to remove all traces of surface rust.It'll be fine after that. As for copper spray gasket, if the head gasket is composite, don't use any. The multi-layer steel gaskets are the only ones that need the spray sealant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.