33"x9.5" Mud terrain any good? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2000, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

33\"x9.5\" Mud terrain any good?

I have a guy that has 4 new 33x9.5's for sale and was considering buying them. I like the idea of not having a whole lot of tire hanging out the wheel well. I could even run them on the 5.5" rims. Can this be a good all around tire?
a little mud, litle rock.........

ThX
DannyL

Just remember for every mile on the
road of life there's two miles of ditch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2000, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 33\"x9.5\" Mud terrain any good?

I've never run the 33x9.50s, but here's my opinion for what it's worth:

It really depends on the individual and the terrian you like to run in, but........

I like the idea of the narrower tire on a light weight rig like the Zuk. This will create more contact pressure and should give better traction in a lot of situations than a wider tire (theory anyway). Better turning radius than a 33x12.50. Less flotation is better for light mud and snow, to dig to the solid ground below the goo (not good for deep mud or snow though). I run 31x10.50 BFG ATs on my CJ and like them a lot. You'd probably be hard pressed to find a tougher "radial". The mud tires have a good general purpose tread and a good reputation. I'd prefer to run them on a 15x7........I dont know if the 5.5" is a good idea or not (just assuming the 7" wuld be better).

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 11:56 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Buddy of mine had a set of 33X9.50 A/T's on 7" rims & they're REALLY narrow (WAY skinnier than 34X9.50 TSL's). Because of this, I suspect you'll be fine on the 5.5's. Otherwise I too would have suggested wider wheels than that. BTW, I prefer narrow tires in ANY kind of mud - deep or shallow. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 03:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have 33x9.50 MT on my Truck and it handles excellent but last month I used it under my SR5 4Runner and it sucks. It really feel top heavy. A friend of mine got the same tire on FJ40 and it feels even worse. I use the standard steel wheel.

I love it on my truck, excellent wear and mileage, light steering, minimal bumpsteer and excellent traction but if used on heavy vehicle it just suck. The high provile tend to fold the sidewall and you will feel very unstable.

It should be excellent for a sammy though. use the old style wheels that can be reversed.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 05:20 PM

I just called a tire shop and the recommended wheel width for these tires is 6.5 to 8.0 inches.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode