'86 zuk leaking engine oil - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'86 zuk leaking engine oil

Hi, i've got an '86 samurai, stock. I recently had a new clutch put in and when the mechanic showed me the old one, he said that engine oil was leaking badly, and some of it was getting on the clutch, causing slippage which increases the rate of wear on my clutch. I've noticed spots of oil on the driveway under the car, and i'm wondering what i should do?
Is the mechanic just pulling my leg about the oil causing extra wear and slippage on my clutch? I'm thinking maybe the gasket is broken, if so, how much would that cost if i took it to Firestone for example(closest place by my house) to fix it?
Thanks, Jezz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 06:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: \'86 zuk leaking engine oil

oil will ruin your clutch. It would have been easy for your mechanic to change it when he was doing your clutch, it is mounted in a removeable plate behind the flywheel that he already had off. I did mine when replacing my clutch, it cost about $15 for a new seal and about a half hours time. It would probally be expensive to get it done now, it takes a while to get to it when its all together, ask your mechanic, he was just in there and could probally do it quicker since he is familiar with it now. Good luck!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check your fuel pump. The fuel pump will wear out and oil will basically stream outta the vent hole on it, right onto your bellhousing. Costs much less than getting gaskets replaced if the fuel pump is the prob.

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2000, 06:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help guys, i've also noticed lately that when i start the car up, i can smell gas. Does this mean the problem is more likely a bad fuel pump than a broken gasket like Mike said? Lately, i've had to put in a new bottle of motor oil every 3 to 4 weeks (i only drive about 100 miles a week.) I'd really like to nail down the problem before i take it to the mechanic so i don't get screwed over.
Thanks, Jezz

<font color=red>'86 Samurai, white, split soft top</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2000, 06:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Mike does have a good point, mine did the same thing and my friends just started doing it. It took forever for me to find mine, it would only happen after i parked after getting off the highway, it would leave a big puddle and I couldnt trace the dam thing. Finally after I tried everything else I tied a baggie over the fuel pumps extra nipple, drove around and sure enough there was oil in the bag. Give that a try.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2000, 09:04 AM
Can't Get Enough

When I first bought my '87 it had a bad oil leak and I duct taped a plastic coke bottle to the vent tube of the fuel pump and sure enough it was pouring out of from it. I'd recommend checking that first too.

Brown 29
88.5 Samurai Hardtop
87 Samurai Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode