post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 06:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Samurai gas mileage at 13 mpg - help!

Hi All,

I just bought a 92 suzuki samurai JL which has been modified for off road
stuff. It has some pretty agressive tires on it, it may have been lifted,
looks like it has a new engine, (118k miles total) has one of those
snorkels that keep the thing from choking underwater, and a big CB radio
antennae, brush guard, and i don't know what else yet.

My problem is, when I got it on the highway I was dismayed to find I had
averaged only 13 mpg. It was *very windy* during part of the miles, but
even so, I don't think its going to approach 25 mpg on a calm day. Where
should I start in trying to improve this? I need it to cross the creek and
a bumpy gravel road between me and my house and then do a 300 mile round
trip on the highway a couple of times a month.

Also, can you get a hard top for this model?

TIA for your help!

kristy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Samurai gas mileage at 13 mpg - help!

Kristy;
I also have a 92 Sami JL and only get 13 to 14 MPG out of it. Of course I have an RX7 Rotary in mine with a 4 barrel and can,t keep my foot out of it. I used to get 24 to 26 out of mine with the stock efi 1300 engine. You are loosing some due to the oversize tires etc. How did you come up with the 13 MPG figure? Your speedo is way off with the big tires. You can figure how far off the speedo is by clocking yourself on an interstate with mile markers. After you figure out the percentage it is off, you can then figure out your real distance and mileage. Good Luck with your Sami. Later ...Harry...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Harry,
thanks for the reply. I used to have a Mazda rx7 rotary and I loved it! It was my favorite car so far, but I just bought the samurai. Anyway, I filled it with gas, noted the mileage, drove around (some city, and highway in some real windy conditions) then filled with gas a couple of times, noted the gallons I used and the mileage I drove and divided.

btw, what is speedo?

thanks
kristy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 11:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Kristy,
You noted that your zuk (suzuki) was "modified for off road stuff", this could mean a lot of different things. You probably want to check the speedo (speedometer) like Harry suggested. If it does have larger tires, this can be a lot of your problems, "based on my experiences"!!! The new motor is hard to say. I have seen some of the most worthless motors cleaned up, painted and resold as rebuilt motors. I hope this is not your case. There are many variables to decide your problem. If it is indeed your original motor with that being the original miles, a windy day and larger tires will definately knock your milage down to that.. NOTE: this is based on my experiences and all my zuks have carbs. i am not a zuk guru by any means. just what i have experienced. Yes, they do make hard tops for it. I have see them in the past, but don't remember where right off the top of my head. Anybody else know where to get them???
Don't know what else to suggest without knowing more about your rig. Let us know what you find out about it, maybe someone can help you some more.
Later,
bb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your post and profile don't help much, but where are you located? Maybe someone lives nearby to guide you a bit. You can get hardtops at Sears, JC Whitney, Calmini, Quadratec etc. Depending on what stye you want they run from about $900. to $1300. Later ...Harry...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 10:11 PM

Tire size has alot to do with the way you are calculating MPG. It not only makes your MPH wrong, but also your odometer reading. To find out you actual MPH, use the MPH adjust calculator, http://www.izook.com/tech/gearcalc.htm. This will tell you whether your tire size is affecting your odometer. If it is, then measure your route on a map for an accurate mileage and use that for your fuel mileage calculation, miles/gallons=MPG.

FRANKENZUKI,10 foot tall and bullet proof!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello Again,

I checked out my tires - they are 29" x 8.5" Swampers. Does anyone know what the 92 Samurai JL stock size tires were? Are the ones I have big enough to take my gas mileage down this substantially? Also, how can I tell if the beast has regeared differentials? Can I use a tachometer for this since there is one installed?

thanks
kristy

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Harry,

I'm in Western Oregon, the Coast Range near Waldport and I also spend alot of time in Portland.

Hey now that I'm thinking about your samurai rx7 that sounds like a good idea. Does the engine fit in there very easily? and can you still get decent reasonably priced rx7 rotary?

kristy

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my tiresize program says your speedo is reading low by 4 to 6 percent, assuming your tires are either 235 75, or 245 75, 15's.
that is, your speedo is reading low, assuming no other changes have been made. if anyone wants the program send me a message and i'll send it off to you.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kristy;
I live in Naples FL. the other side of the world from you. The RX7 is a great swap for many reasons, but it is not an easy one. I have only been driving mine daily for about 2 months. It is still a work in progress. No one makes a kit, so I have had to make all the mounts, adapters, radiator, driveshaft etc. etc. When I have it all perfected, and it may take me a year or so more, as I work 40 hours a week and have a lot of other activities to take up my time, I probably will make a kit. Rx7 engines are plentiful and fairly cheap. You have to use the 12A, 1986 and down as the 13 is too long. You almost double your horsepower and gain very little weight. The Mazda tranny has a lower 1st gear and a higher 5th. It is super fast. Later ...Harry...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode