front hubs gone? or is it my diff? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 12:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

front hubs gone? or is it my diff?

The other day I tried to lock my front hubs in and do a little mud bashing, but I got a rude shock when I had no front end power. Hence I got stuck.

When I got the sucker out of the mud I put it up on 4 stilts and checked everything out. my rear axle was moving, so where my rear wheels (no probs in the arse end) the front axle was moving, hubs were in locked position (I heard them lock as well) but no movement from the wheels. It sounded like the diff was moving around and it produced no horrible sounds whatsoever.

can anybody help me? Could be quite expensive to get a mechanic to find the problem.

'85 SuziSkip
1.6 22R off it's rocker
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 02:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: front hubs gone? or is it my diff?

Just a thought but I had my hubs on my 410 out today for a bearing repack and I noticed once the snap ring was out it let the shaft move in and out a fair ways.If this tiny clip was to break it would allow the shaft to creep inwards enough to keep the hub from engaging the axle.To quickly check this jack one side of the front of the truck up and with the truck in 2wd lock the hubs.One at a time spin a wheel,if the driveshaft moves then that hubs ok.If nothing happens go to the other side and repeat previous step.If nothing happens again you could either have a pair of bad clips,hubs,or shafts or your third member is toast.I'll bet you it's the clip I noticed one of mine wasn't in the best of shape so I'll get another one just in case.They are extremely easy to change an I'm sure very cheap.Good luck and let us know if this fixes it.

If it gets too deep drive faster
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 03:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Possible hubs are crud stuck if not used for long time.
Disassemble inpect and clean to free them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 08:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check an make sure your front driveshaft is spinning. I usually start from the "bottom up" in diagnosing problems..... not the "top down".

Could be your 4WD isn't engaging. Its doubtful your gears are broken. But hubs do get sticky an seize up even though the hub lock has been turned.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 09:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hopefully your problem is only hubs needing a cleaning & light greasing.
Worst-case scenario(s): stripped pinion gear teeth (as in stripped completely off so no noise)
I'd think if you had broken Birfields or munched spider gears or hubs, you'd hear metal-crunching sounds for sure [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Tim J

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 11:43 AM
Can't Get Enough

I had that problem and one of my front hubs was not engaging when locked in. If either hub does not engage you have no 4WD up front. I took mine apart and the right hub components had been seized up due to rust and a spring in the engagement mechanism had come out of place. I took the other one off to compare them for proper re-assembly and they worked ok, but were still hard to turn to lock in.

Brown 29
88.5 Samurai Hardtop
87 Samurai Convertible
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks everyone......

my front drive shaft is turning I meant to say driveshaft the first time but I said front axle (doh!!). I did have my bearings replaced not so long ago and before I had them done the 4x4 locked in and worked fine. Sounds to me life the clip is the culperate.

does anyone have anything to say in the way of precautions when removing the front hubs? How about a detailed explanation on cleaning the hubs and repairing them? I haven't the money to go and buy a workshop manual or hayes

all help would be greatly appreciated.

ps: the wheel bearings I was talking about before were only replaced like six weeks ago and now when I wiggle the wheel top to bottom I can hear them getting loose again. Why would this be? Could the clip cause this to play up as well? What are birfields?

'85 SuziSkip
1.6 22R off it's rocker
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 10:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mark,
The "Birfield" is the joint in the front axle that allows the front end to turn left & right. Their design has some documented weaknesses.
So you has some wheel bearings replaced recently? This sounds fishy. First thing I'd do is get you some sort of repair manual-- even a Haynes book on the Samurai will be of great help on this one. If you jack up one of your front wheels so it's off the ground, you're saying you can wiggle it in an unnatural way. Of course it should Only swing left & right & have No movement otherwise. There are a several things that could cause it to be loose: The nut that retains those wheel bearings could not be tight enough or there could be a problem still with the wheel bearings themselves (remember: I don't know who worked on your truck-- they may have only put some grease on your old bearings & not replaced them) Another area to check is the knuckle (a.k.a. trunion) bearings. They are at the top & bottom of the steering knuckle-- the pionts where the wheel assemble swings from. If these bearings are worn, you will be able to move the wheel as you've described also. They may have replaced the wheel bearings, when you needed knuckle bearings. So it's time to get dirty & go see Exactly what's loose under there! You don't want that wheel to pass you on the road!
PS-- while it's not rocket science to work on this area of the front-end, you will need a non-standard tool to turn that big spindle nut- I can't recall what size it is, but it's near 2 1/8" or something.

HTH,
Tim J [email protected]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 11:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wheel bearing retainer nut is 50mm which is 2 inches. Can use a hammer and chisel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode