Back from Moab - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Back from Moab

Hey folks,

Just got back from Moab. What a blast. This will definitely be a yearly vacation.

As a testiment to the strength of the Sam, let me tell you what we accomplished.

My rig is a '94 Sam, Calmini 5", 2" body lift, 31"x10.50" MTs, locked and geared, skidplates, rails, beefy bumper w/ winch. She weights alot more than when I first met her back in '94.

Now I added a custom trailer made from a sami bed and rear axle. SPOA, 3" body, 31"x10.50"'s. The trailer weighs 613 lbs. unladen.

Now through in tool boxs, cooler, chairs, tents and bags and enough supplies to camp with for the 10-day expedition. And to top it off, add two not-so-thin 30-somethings looking for fun.

Can you begin to picture how weighed down this li'l Sammy is? Oh, maybe I should mention the powerplant. It's the stock 1.3L efi. It did have 125K miles on it before we rebuilt it. But it bone stock.

We drove all the way from New York, about 60 miles north of the city, and back. And to my great satisfaction, she made it without as much as a hiccup.

On the trip out, we encountered incredibly strong headwinds (read storm) that made it necessary to drive it floored (and I mean that) from the Mississippi River to Utah. It was so bad, we were in 3rd gear going down hills, FLOORED!

And then there were the Rockies...

Even with all the difficulty, we averaged 17 mpg with the best fuel economy coming from the stint thru the Rockys. It averaged 22 mpg there, for reasons I can't explain.

The return trip we had tail winds. Averaged 70 mph and about 21 mpg, best again being in Colorado.

All in all it was about 6,000 miles.

If in the 6 years that I have owned my Sami I ever had a doubt about her capablilites, it has been ruled out.

Pics of the runs will be up soon.

Yankee Tim and Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Back from Moab

Glad to hear you had as good a time as I did. I drove my 93 Samurai from Phoenix, AZ and back. I had a tailwind all the way there and got about 30 mpg but had headwinds on the way home. Who cares, it was the best vacation ever! I did the Tower Arch trail, the Moab Rim, La Sal Pass, Top of the World, and Elephant Hill (all the way to the Confluence Overlook). They were all awesome, especially the rim. Thanks to Gary from Petroworks for leading the flawless ride on Wednesday. See ya next year!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 12:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glad to hear you had good trip.

Look forward to pics & more details.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 09:28 PM
WSB

Hey Yankee Tim,
Moab is definately worth the trip, where abouts in NY are you from. I live in NY about an 1/2 hour south of Albany.
maybe we could hook up to do some wheeling, would also love to see some photos of your trip
Wayne.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I live in Pawling, about 30 miles east of Po'kip'see. You must be around Catskill or Coxsackie (sp), right?

I know of a few places locally that we can wheel at. Drop me an email at [email protected]

Yankee Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode