CD player in a zuk???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CD player in a zuk????

I need to hear from anyone who has put an aftermarket stereo in a samurai. How will it fit? What kind of mods do you need. I asked the installers at a store, and they wanted to charge me an extra $50 because it was a special install. Well, I can't afford that, but can I put it in myself??? Please help.

Thanks a lot
marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CD player in a zuk????

What year Zuk do you have?
I think there were two different dash styles for the Zuk. One had the stereo compartment hanging below the rest of the dash in a plastic box type thing. This was used in the earlier model zuk, 86 until maybe 88.5 or later, not sure. After that there was a switch to a stereo that was actually in the dash. If it is actually in the dash I wouldn't imagine they could say it is a special install, so I'massuming that you may have the earlier type. If you don't have the plastic box don't worry much about it, you have several options. You can buy the original plastic box unit from various places, second you can go up to radio shack and buy this universal cb/stereo kit. It is a little box that you can mount on things with screws. You can mount it under or on top of the dash. I used one of these an made a bracket that went from the targa bar to the windshield and hung my cd player up there next to my CB radio. I've taken that stuff out so I can't give you any pics.
Wiring is straight forward also. I simply wired the constant power source directly to the battery with an inline fuse. There are two white wires with black stripes. One goes to the cig. lighter, the other can serve as the switch wire for your cd player. There is a metal plate right in front of the heater which makes a convinent ground if you mount in the original spot.
Good Luck, if you need any more help feel free to email me.

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OH YEAH THIS ZUK CAN ROCK...Perfect Super Tuner ZUK Installation

Pulled KE-1800QR Pioneer Cas/Super Tuner out of Van and installed
into 1988 Hardtop Sam mounted it center of ceiling right up against
roof and front window frame above rear view mirror it worked out
just great as previous owner installed set high quality flat speakers
mounted high on upper roof frame just behind front seats center vehicle.

Antenna wire can be taken out easy re routed up door frame hollow
along with a 12 volt conductor to power unit.

Speaker wiring even easier to install use roof frame as a ready
made wireway to wire right and left speakers.

LOOK OUT stero sound from high mount speakers can really rock,
even low power unit high mount can blow your drums out.

Above tuner is pull out type painted outer metal frame of tuner
machine gray to match inside ceiling looks great.

Orginally reserved this overhead area for CB radio but changed
my mind when saw ease of a tuner CD installation.

Checking with Pioneer for CD tuner combo slip in place

Oh area were orginal Sam radio was now used to hold a
GPS SAT NAV system and general storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 12:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, My zuk is an '87, so it has the seperate box which hangs down. I had picked up a cheap cass. player with the two knobs (what the car was designed for), but after hooking it all up, is was a waste of energy. I would rather listen to the worry causing sounds my car makes. And I know that plenty of people have put aftermarket CD players in the style of dash I have, so I kinda just wanted to know any tips or tricks they used. I already have a radio box, and want to mount the stereo there, but I guess I will just have to make my own bracket to hold everything together. If anyone has done what I am attempting, let me know if you have any advice, how do you keep the thing from flying around off-road, how did you mount it, and stuff like that? Thanks for the help guys.

Marcus
'87 sam

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try getting some small or medium sized metal brackets that you can pick up at a hardware store. On the back of the player there should be a little nut type attachment on it that you can attch a bracket to on the back and use it to support the back without the thing flying around. If needed you can put some on the sides on a DIN type CD player. Just experiment around until you find something that works well, it doesn't take to much to fab something up, and just as good as most stereo places will do for $50.

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I usually use portables in my trucks. Just picked up an Emerson portable that broadcasts on FM and has 20 sec anti-skip for only $70 at Wal-Mart. I plan on just locking it in the glove box and powering it through a wire in the back. Panasonic also make an in-dash CD player just for off-road, 40 sec anti-skip, water resistant face, dust cover and a hefty price tag. On my 86, my radio box was missing, so I used a generic mounting kit ($16 at Best Buy) and built a new box out of sheet metal. Have fun.

Troy

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 01:49 PM
SRN

Ive got a real nice Sony one. The only mod I made was I put a GM alternator in it. It fits fine into the stock stereo box.

SRN
'86 Samurai "Simple Sami MK2"
Zukinet
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put a Sony in my '87. I removed the plastic face plate from the box. I cut out a new face plate from 5/8" particle board so that the slide in chassis mount would fit in tight. Paint the board or face with whatever you want. The 5/8" thickness gives it some nice support. I used RTV to glue it in (from the backside) and put another small block of wood to support the back of the radio chassis. It works great. You can center it or keep it to the left in case you want to put a cigarette lighter socket next to it.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I mount the CD players in my Zuks in the glovebox. What losers can't see... they won't want to steal. Especially if they don't know anything is there to begin with.

In the glovebox also puts the stereo quite a bit higher for deep water crossings.... which have eaten up a couple of my stereos when mounted in the stock location.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well take it from someone who use to install stereos for a living and still does on the weekends, IT's AS EASY AS WIPING YOUR OWN ASS.

Those idiots that told you it was a special install were trying to get some extra cash out of you because you didn't know. If all you are adding is the head unit (cd player part) then you'll want to look at something mechanical. The best brand that comes to mind in SANSUI, but if you have the cash and don't mind spending it go for the top of the line digital unit (sony, kenwood, but not pioneer. They seem to be afraid of a little dust).

By mechanical I mean that you have to physically slide the cd into the hole and the push it the rest of the way until it clicks in, much like the old tape decks but for CD applications.

Now as for installation, if you buy a CD player in the box should be a metal mounting bracket that will be used to stop your CD player sliding in and out of the hole(in the hanging dash box). Now all you have to do is trim the original plastic piece (which clips into the front of the box) using a jigsaw until your metal bracket will slide through the hole. Once you have the hole just big enough for the bracket to slide into we can move onto installing the actual CD unit. (make sure the hole and bracket make a really, really tight fit. You don't want the sucker sliding out into your lap when you climb a decent hill).

Take the trimmed plastic piece (some have a cigerette lighter hole in it) decide what side you want the cigerette lighter to be on and then fit your metal bracket(one end of the bracket will have a lip on it, that will need to be on the front side of the pastic piece. To do this hold the plastic piece and push the other end of the bracket through the trimmed hole from the front side to the back side). Next slide the CD player into the metal bracket until you hear it click in. You should notice that on the metal bracket that at the end closest to the plastic, that there should be a number of tabs you can bend up (using a flat head screw driver). Pop up only the ones that will help hold the plastic to the bracket.

now all you have to do is push the CD unit, which is attached to the plastic, back into the hanging dash box (from the back of it) and clip the plastic bit into place. All CD units should also come with a metal strip with a whole heap of holes in it. Find the center one and the retainer screw (supplied usually) and screw this into the back of the CD unit (where the wires go). next bend the metal strip over nice and tight and use two small screws to attach it to the plastic box. Now your CD player shouldn't move an inch. if it does, get an old or new car cleaning sponge and cut it into blocks and wedge them above and below the CD unit between it and the platic box (cushions the impact of big bumps).

Now your unit should be all installed and ready for wiring. If you would like pictures send me a private message with your email and I'll email you some detailed pictures of what I am on about.

the best CD unit I have found over the past 5yrs is SANSUI (especially if you do a lot of rigged 4x4), I have one of them pumping out 4x35w with 2 45w pre-outs. on the front harness I have a 4-channel 240w amp which then splits into 6" phillips splits with dual 3" tweeters (all waterproof and on their own private cross-over networks) then in a custom box behind the front seats I have two 12" phillips competition subs with co-dependant mid range and tweeter seaters. then on either side of them in the same box I have SANSUI competition 6x9" 3-ways. All of the rear speakers are being powered by a 4-channel 800w competition amp. All wiring and speakers etc etc is waterproof. Even the head unit (except it doesn't like salt water, burnt one out the other weekend

beleive it or not I have all of this running of a standard battery and alternator. I get more volume and clearer sound out of my $900 Australian, then most of the wankers around that have spent $1500

Shop around and buy the bits yourself, you'll do a better deal, get the sound you want and build it all at your own pace. Need any help drop me a line.

'85 SuziSkip
1.6 22R off it's rocker
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode