whats so bad about a z-link - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 08:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

whats so bad about a z-link

I am goin to do a soa on my zuk and am wonder why a z-link is so bad, and that all these places are coming out with new steering setups? I am strapped for cash, and the z-link looks like the more cost effective way to go, what is wrong with using it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 08:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: whats so bad about a z-link

Hey man, I don't think there is anything wrong with a z-link. My zuk stands over 6 feet tall and is a daily driver. I got a home made z-link. I am a acomplished welder (not speller though), and had no problems doing it. If you are not capable of making a safe z-link, by all means, get one from a company that makes them. There are many out there. I am going to convert to a nuckle over kit soon to eliminate all bump steer. Z-links solve most of the problems, but I still have a little bump steer. I don't have power steering yet, and I also run a smaller grant steering wheel. So wheelin gets fun sometimes. But driving on the road is fine though. Decision is yours though.
Later,
bb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i was goin to get mine from RRO, but how much bumpsteer do you notice with your z-link? With all these linkage system out there seems to be allot of z-llink bashing, as long as the bump steer is crazy and there safe im for it. I just don't want to do anything that is unsafe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 09:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i'll probably catch some heat for telling the truth as I am about to. I run a 4.5 spoa on mine with a calmeany shackle reversal. I have driven it for months with just a stock bent drag link. I know it is STUPID, just never had time to make a z-link. Bump steer was pretty bad with that set up. Not too safe either. At the Uwharrie zuk meet last weekend, I finished bending my drag link. I could not even turn to the left. It would go straight and turn right. But not left. I figured it was time to finally make time to build a z-link. It eliminated almost all of my bump steer. There is still a little though. I am going to install power steering soon though. I am planning on a nuckle over system first though. I am going to eliminate this z-link. I have no problems with it, but I also don't want any bump steer. I am tired of it. I rememaber how bad it used to be, and I definately like how much I have eliminated, but when I drive my whale (76 suburban), I have 0-zip-nada in the way of bump steer. So, I hope with power steering and a nuckle over conversion, I will finally be happy. As far as which company to buy from, I don't know what to say. I will not deal with calmini based on past experiences. (I'm not trying to start anything here, it is just my opinion) Glenn at RRO has always had pretty good service, but I can never get in touch with him on the phone. I have never delt with Petro Works or Zuki South. A friend of mine has, and I guess he had pretty good service with both. I personally like Brent at Trail Tough. I have ordered from him on several occasions and have always had very good service. Hawk zuki is good too. I have talked to them on the phone and they seem very nice too. I am sure there are many others I don't know or have not delt with so I can not comment. NOTE!! These are just my opinions... I am not trying to start problems here. Just voice a opinion. If I have offended anyone, I am sorry.
Good luck man
later
bb

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

An s- or z-shaped drag link will not change bump steer- it will allow your front end to fully turn to the right (a stock drag link bent or not will bind on the r.h. spring when turning to the right in most instances with a SPOA lift) The issue here is that the drag link (arm from pitman arm to the tie rod assembly) needs to be parallel to the tie rod. So when you use a suspension lift to raise your truck, this angle increases with every inch of lift. With the increase in this angle, the bumpsteer becomes greater. The modified drag links help clear the leaf spring, but the actual working part of the system is still along a straight line from the pitman arm to where it attaches on the tie rod. If you are planning to use ~31" tires, a modified drag link is fine for most people as long as it's well made. They are the most economical solution, also.

Tim J
[email protected]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 07:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

would it be ok for swampers?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 09:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ran a modified drag link with 32 x11.50 x 15 TSl SX's for a long time & the bumpsteer was tolerable (I don't drive my rig on the street much) Many people run much larger tires w/ them & it's alright however bumpsteer gets worse. But when I changed over to crossover steering I couldn't Believe how much better it was to drive-- it might be something to consider later on when finances permit. if you get the chance to drive a rig with one of these kits you'll see what I mean.

Tim J

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 11:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Tim,
Which kit do you have on yours? I am getting ready to convert mine too. Don't know if there is any difference in the kits. Do you have a opinion?
Thanks
bb

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

BB,
I had the Higher Heights kit on my rig (before I went to Toyota axles). I cannot speak highly enough about the quality & performance of this kit. If you have lockers & the 2WD-Low option, you can forget about power steering [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Beware, however: whichever kit you get, make CERTAIN that you create some bumpstops for your knuckles, lest you implode a Birfield. It's easy--just install some longer bolts in the felt seal retainer ring.

Regards,
Tim J [email protected]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 02:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Tim, thanks for the advice. I am planning on buying one soon. I will also install p/s with it. It is my daily driver. So, p/s is nice on the street runnin 33/12.50s. I also have a little grant GT series wheel. I figured I would spoil myself and get the nuckle over unit. A fellow zuker and NC DMV officer told me that the breeze unit has a new mackined bracket as a mount, not a extension with longer bolts. Do you know if these are the same design, or is there a difference in the two units??? I know both are of high quality, but I don't know the little ins and outs of each kit.
Thanks.
bb

ps
Are you the same Tim that
has wheeled with Chris Robbins?
I wheeled with him in Tiftonia
in March. He's got a awsome rig.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode