93 4x2 into 4x4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 12:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

93 4x2 into 4x4

HI, I'm new to the Forum, but i've been wanting a samurai for quite a while now. the samurai in question is at:
http://www.copart.com/cgi-bin/ltdeta...p?lot=01047860
It is at a salvage car auction, but its not salvaged, and the damage is on the bumpers, which i'd replace anyways. The only thing is, that its not a 4x4! Whats the point of a 2 wheel drive samurai? BUT, my question is, how hard is it to change it to a 4x4? has anyone done this? what would i need? the auction is monday, so i need to make up my mind quick.
Thank you

Geoffrie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 01:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 93 4x2 into 4x4

Hey Geoffrie,

I say go for it man. Check out the usual stuff when buying a vehicle. Don't know what a fair price is where you are. Here in eastern tennessee, a clean 2wd will bring around 3K. To convert to 4wd is very simple. Get a t/c, front driveline, and axle. Be sure to get all the nuts and bolts you can. Can never have too many of those. It is a bolt in procedure. If the price is right, grab it. You must also consider what you will have to invest to convert it as compared to just buying a 4wd zuk. I would have no problem converting one, but if you can not find the parts, it will put you in a pinch. The decision is yours man.
Good luck,
bb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 03:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I figure i can get it for under 1,000 so the price is right. (my current car a 91 VW golf i picked up for $650 at the auction) will any year sami 4x4 parts work? Another thing, does a 93 have a back seat? If not could i just find one and add it?
I live in Redding california does anyone know a good place to get the transfer case, hubs, axle, and front drive line cheep? also is there anything else i'd need?
thanks again
Geoffrie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 03:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you can get it for a grand, I would say jump as quick as you can. I have them, but it would be cost prohibitive to send them to CA. I am sure you can find some out there. There are a bunch of zuksters out in the north west. Can any of you guys help our fellow zukster here???? A back seat is not too hard to install. They did not have them in 93 if I remember correctly. If you plan on building it and making a trail truck, you may think about the t/c that Trail Tough sells. I heard about it, but havn't checked out his site for info yet. Hope to tonight.
Later
bb

ps
if you get it that cheap and decide
you don't want it, let me know, i
will come and get it. NO KIDDING!!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you billy bob for your help, now I just need to find the parts. Does anyone have all the parts needed for a 2x4 to 4x4 conversion?
The problem is that i'm going to need to barrow the money from my dad to buy it because i havn't sold my car yet. He wont lend me the money unless i can find the parts before hand. please help me out.
Thanks
Geoffrie

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 08:27 PM

If you can't find a private party to sell you the parts call Hawk Sazuki in
Oregon (888-726-8724,www.hawksazukiparts.com).They're the best dismantler I've
dealt with.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 09:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with rollerskate. Hawk has a extensive line of parts. Everything you will ever need for a conversion. Now you have a confirmed source for the parts to convert it. If you can, get the loan, and then have a little patience. You will usually find the parts cheaper from a private party. I believe shipping would kill a person to ship them to CA from TN.
Good luck.
bb

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2000, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ditto on the Hawk comments. They have everything you need. I would also recommend if you are going to buy a Transfercase, get one with lower gears! Either the 4.16:1 that every one seems to be selling, or Petroworks GRSII with a 4.89:1 low range. If you have to buy one, you will regret not getting the lower gears later.......of course there is a price differential here......oops!

Andy Feingold
88 Samurai, moderately modified
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 01:29 AM

hre's some shipping prices I've paid
T-case: Massachusettes - Texas = 25.00
rearend Texas to Oregon = 65.00

good luck on the swap

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 02:06 AM

check out ebay for parts that where i bought my tcase - under 100.00. do a search for suzuki samurai

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode