Pony Carb's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Pony Carb\'s

Just got back from the Uwharrie trail ride. It was the first "real" test for my Pony carb. Overall it ran great. It never tried to stall going up hill or when off camber. However, it did try to stall when I was going down steep hills. A little heal-toe on the gas & brake kept the engine running. It's not flooding, it's starving for fuel because on my engine the carb is mounted with the bowl to the back.

I'm sure if I played with the float a little I might be able to cure some of this. But like I said, overall I'm happy with it's performance.

On a side note. I friend of mine is using a Holley carb off a Pinto. He's using a Weber adapter plate. He's still working on a way to get a air cleaner mounted on it. But this carb worked AWESOME. Much more power than the Pony and NO problems with stalling or flooding. This may end up being a better alternative to the Pony.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]Jbird
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 12:05 PM

Re: Pony Carb\'s

Is that a 4 or 6 cylinder pinto he got the carb from?

C-Ya.....................kh
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 12:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Very interesting! Can you give us a little more info on this. How much did it cost for the carb and the adapter plate? Is he having trouble mounting the stock air assembly on top of it or is he trying to mount an open air unit on it? I just want to know if I could do the same but keep the stock air cleaner assembly. Thanks for yet another alternate idea for a more powerful carb. The more options the better.

Remember the first rule in the Mountain Man Handbook: It's a long way to the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I believe it is off a 4 cyl. Pinto. I'll find out for sure.

He will probably use an open air filter. I think you will see a vendor carrying a kit to install this carb in the very near future. My friend is working on the details then a vendor will put a kit together to sell. Most likely you will need to buy the carb yourself then the kit will include everything else you need. BTW I think the carb can be bought from places like NAPA & Advanced Auto.

I don't want to give out to much info right now. (I don't have much) It's still in the research and development stage but I think it will be a great carb. I know it did great on the trail!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,
I have been looking seriously into this carb for my '87 sammi. In fact I bought one this week off of Ebay. It is AKA the Holley 5200 and 6200 series (6200 is a later model version [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. The 5200 was made by Holley but designed in cooperation with Weber. It is very simular to the 32/36 DFV, DGAV,or DGEV. they use the same adapter plate as the 32/36 and were originally found on AMC,Ford, and Chevy 4cyl and a few 6cyl engines. Mostly on Pintos and Vegas. The Fords are mostly electric choke (DGEV) while the Chevy version is mostly a water choke (DGAV) The jets will NOT interchange with weber without rethreading the throttle body. I am gathering up stuff right now to put one on my Sammi, and apparently the VW guys have known about and used this carb for years. It is supposed to be jetted really close to perfect for the 1.3 and 1.6 zuk motors. BTW if anyone has an extra 9904.300 weber adapter plate they want to get rid of, let me know!
thanks
B-zuka
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 07:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've got a Holley on my sami and personally, I hate it! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] I have a dead spot right above idle, and it tends to cut out on me when ever I'm running off-chamber. But, I think it just needs rejetted, because it run's great on the road, except for the dead spot that is. I just made a little adapter, and had it welded to my stock sami carb cover to fit the Holley. It was pretty to fit.
BTW...my Holley is off of a 4cyl Ford Ranger motor.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 07:44 AM
MRLoneWolfe

I think I can help ya.....I too run a pony carb and have been thru this problem before...Look at the fuel bowl in front of the carb(on level ground).you should see fuel evenly across half of the fuel bowl(proper float level)if its set right.You might need to readjust the float level of the carb...if this does not help..Step 2...go to the nearest autoparts store...Buy a dial fuel regulator 1-5 lbs of fuel setttings...(made by puralator)This you will need to turn down the fuel regulation when wheeling off camber..I run 1lb...if it wans to cut out...put it to 2...this will reglate any future problems...worked great for me and others on this board...if seach is up you can cross refrence info from past posts.....good luck! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]...knock um dead....!!!and then.... [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 08:36 AM

I too am interested in doing the "regulator" thing to my pony. My situation is a little different in that my pony is mounted with the bowl in the front as opposed to Jbirds being mounted with the bowl in the back. So, in my case, I will stall going up the hill which is worse.

Please understand that I am not tryng to pick your post apart, just trying to uderstand how this works. What exactly does a regulator do to overcome this problem. I see how it works in a "flooding" situation(like mine), but I don't understand how it could do anything but worsen the situation in a "starving for fuel" situation(like Jbirds). Am I wrong? Also, if I install a regulator, do i need to make any internal adjustments to the carb? Will setting 5 on the regulator be enough fuel to keep me running down the highway?

Thanks for the help.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 09:02 PM
MRLoneWolfe

All the regulator will do is change the amount of constant fuel it will provide to the carb.When your inverted or pointed straight down the carb stumbles right....this will cure the stumble.To the second part yes,5 is what I run on the highway making sure it gets all the fuel it will need.It will always let you know if you forget to turn it back up it will stumble from not enuf fuel!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 10:22 PM
Veteran

Please do not take this post as an attack----And correct me if I am wrong.
I do not run a pony, but I have had a lot of experience with other carbs.
It would seem that regulating the Pressure to the carb would not fix the problem--since the float controls the amount of fuel in the bowl.
If the pressure were too much, the fuel would seep by the needle and seat and there would be too much fuel in the bowl and the engine would flood.--
If there was not enough pressure, the bowl would not fill enough and the engine would starve under load.
This low pressure that you are useing must not be filling the bowl all the way. Do you ever starve for fuel while on the trail?
It would seem that a change in the float level should fix the problems without having to put in a pressure regulator.
I would like to get this figured out before I put my Pony on my 88 Zuke. Right now I am running a stock carb.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode