Off Roading Forums banner

Lockright vs. Ez-locker (also do I need side gears?)

867 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  DaveAZ 
G
#1 ·
Well guys I am ready to buy my locker. I know that a lot of people in the suzuki circle support the Lock-right, but when I went to the store today to see about pricing, there was another group of suzuki guys (working there) who were telling me that the detroit seems to be made of stronger materials and more reliable, and that is what the people in their group run. I have also read that the jeep group perfers the Detroit over the Lock-right. So I would like to here from you guys. Tell me your experiences with either or both. Thanks a lot.

Marcus

'87 JX, almost running

G
#2 ·
Re: Lockright vs. Ez-locker

Well....here goes.....I broke my first 2 Lockrites within 2 weeks of install....swapped out the third member....and the third Lockrite lasted a year and had it's teeth all chewed up. These were all professionally installed, so I take no credit. Also, it was with 4.16:1 transfer case and 31's, with relatively stock motor. I replaced that with a EZ Locker mostly because at the time it was cheaper, and I hadn't broken one of them yet! Since day one, it has alway felt better than the Lockrites. It disengages and engages as expected. It has been in for maybe 3 years now, and no problems at all. My experience only.

Andy Feingold
88 Samurai, moderately modified

G
#4 ·

Well, the score so far:

Lock-right 13 (thanks to daveaz :)
Ez-locker 4 (got a private email too)

Looks like it may be the EZ-Locker for me.

Anyone else? Please contribute, I can't afford to buy the wrong brand (I can barly afford to buy the right brand:).

Marcus

#5 ·

... as a matter of fact, people here in Chile tell me the same thing...

they prefer the ez b/c "it comes with the side couple gears, that are way stronger than the stock ones" (dont know if this makes sense).

I have the same issues w/ making the right choice... is one NOTICABLE better /worse than the other...

thanks for any input!

alfred

G
#6 ·

Here is an update if anyone is interested: So far, I started out going for the Lockright, but then I got a bunch of good comments about the EZ-locker, and not about the Lockright. But I just checked with my local drive-train specializing shop, and they said that they have stopped carrying the EZ-locker because of the huge amounts of warranty/repair requests they were getting with them (3 times more than the lockright). So, all that they have and carry is the Lockright. So I am back to being completely lost as to which is better. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all afford the ARB's?????

Marcus

'87 JX

#8 ·
Ok, if your going to take a poll, We have 12 rigs from here, that all have Lock-Rite in them, and not one has had one lick of trouble.

I talked to Brent about why he uses the EZ Lockers, and he said " because they have stronger springs in them" and,"if you have LR and want the better springs just call EZ and ask them to send you some"

Now on the other hand if you ask Glen, he will say to use Lock_rite, sooo,,,
The choice is up to you.

Just adding to the poll,,,,:)))

DaveAZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.