Could my clutch be going out? ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2000, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Could my clutch be going out? ?

I have a 92 2wd Samurai with 75K miles on it. It is very very good condition. I bought it from a elderly
man and I cant tell you how "cherry" it is. One problem.... it shifts a little hard. When I drive it in the
morning it is hard to get into gear (especially 1st) sometimes it acts like it wants to grind a little when
down shifting from 4th to 3rd. Could my clutch be going bad ?? Could it be out of adjustment??
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Zooki dudes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 05:04 PM
zukikid

Re: Could my clutch be going out? ?

i would say ... just my opinoin...that the gear oil in the tranny is cold when it starts in the morning .do the symptoms go away after useage?it dose not sound like the cluch is bad to me but i can always be wrong (legal disclaimer)
3rd to forth is just a little tight in my sammy any way .so try a lighter gearoil if thee symptoms go away after a while after a start...so it will warm the oil up faster .
ps you can never go wrong with checking the cluch adjustment on these trucks.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 12:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check you oil level in your tranny. If it is low, it will shift hard. Your clutch cable could be out. Shorten the cable to give you more clutch disk clearance. One or two threads will make a noticable diffference in the pedal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 09:00 PM

99% sure its the cable out of adjustment

Id bet right now it isnt dis-engaging all fo the way, thats why 1st is hard

my buddys 92 did this, his was so bad you could depress the clutch as far as possible,put shifter into 1st, apply the gas with the clutch still down and it would MOVE, barely but still it wasnt coming off all of the way..

here is my advice to you

if you dont own a sami repair manual get one, the cable isnt HARD to adjust , or particularly tricky, BUT the potential is there to really diminish the lifespan of your clutch if its misadjusted..

get the book, and follow the procedure

later

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is the oil in your tranny Deal with it or put sentehtic in. the way you can tell if your clutch is going or just needs ajustment is. that your pedal should start to move the sam at about 3/4 of an inch off the floor. If it is at the top check cable to see if you can move it out anymore

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2000, 12:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree, I had the same problem with my samurai, mostly when it was cold out before the car warmed up. It almost seemed like the fluid in my tranny was turned to slush, at least that is what it felt like through the shifter, until everything warmed up. New fluid fixed my problem though. Good luck.

Also, would you guys suggest synthetic for the samurai transmission, or does it matter?

Marcus

'87 JX

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 08:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You live in Southern California so synthetic gear oil in your transmission will be much less noticeable than in the cold north. Still can be benifits at high tempratures that you will not see without taking the transmisson apart after many miles of use. Regular gear oil changes are more important because of no filter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode