The best springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2000, 03:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The best springs

So here is the thing, I am beinging my search for the best springs. I wanted something about 1.5"-2.5", and something for good flex off-road, and smooth as possible on. I would buy OME if I had the money, and the Nationals if they didn't lift so high. Could I possibly take a leaf or two out of the Nationals to get the desired lift (Glenn, what do you think)? Has anyone tried calmini's new 1.5" springs (they are a little expensive, but I was just wondering)? Well, let me know what you guys think.

Also, I am looking for a new pressure plate and throw-out bearing (not the clutch-plate though) for my '87. Let me know. Thanks a ton everyone.

Marcus
'87 JX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2000, 04:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: The best springs

As far as the clutch, go with the Petroworks Dual-Composition clutch. It has organic on the flywheel side and feramic in the press-plate side. Best of both worlds. Only Zuk clutch I know made specifically for off-roading. Also if you smoke your clutch (does that get you high?), you can replace just the disk, unlike other performance clutches.

You could go with the Centerforce, but it's a racing clutch. I have one in my bad-ass VW Karmann Ghia. It's meant to have the clutch dumped at high rev, not slipped like when off-roading.

Some prefer the stock clutch. Works well and they are cheap and readily available.

Hope I helped.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2000, 05:57 PM

You said you were looking for an 1.5" to 2.5" lift spring, the Nationals are only a 1/2" more of lift. I don't think that would even be noticeable. I haven't even heard of the Calmini 1.5" springs. I think the OME's are a 40mm lift. It doesn't matter how much lift or what size tire you get, in six months the tires will look small and you'll want bigger ones. It's a dreaded disorder that a lot of 4x4 owners get. However the most common disorder of 4x4 enthusiast is tinkeritis.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2000, 09:59 PM
Old Hand

Reguarding your clutch question, I am currently running the Petroworks performance clutch and the thing is awesome. It hasn't faded or slipped yet.(and i've soaked the thing in very deep water) You won't regret installing one, if you so choose. Zuk On

I understand your jeep thing, I just don't care !!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2000, 08:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can call National direct and order and ask questions. Here is there number. 619-441-1901
I ordered mine the other day because I couldn't ever get through to Glenn!
Dennis

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2000, 09:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It would not be wise to take leaves out of the National springpack. You'll find that your springs would start to sag on short order. they are a sweet riding spring though. Everyone loves them.

The Centrforce clutch is THE clutch on the market for Samurais. Hundred and hundreds of Zuk folks have run them for years with great results. Contrary to what some companies may preach, they do slip when you need them on the trail... like if you're climbing something and need to feather the clutch a bit climbing the super steep. The Dual friction clutch works great on and offroad. It works, and has been around long enough to have aproven track record for performance.

If anytone ever has difficulty reaching us over the phone due to the backlogs of calls, email always gets through every time. Email and Faxes always work!

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2000, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go with the Nationals and you won't be disappointed. Do get the five leaf rear packs if you do any actual driving! I bent my first set of 4 leaf rear packs. You won't notice the difference from 2-3 inches of lift. And if you get 2inches, you will won't 3 soon enough! I ran my 3 inch Nationals first with 215's....that looked kinda small. The 30x9.50's with a 4to1 transfer case worked real well, but was short on clearance. The 31's gave away some gearing, but worked well. The 32x10.50's are compressing right into the fenders....and the right rear is hitting the gas filler shield. By the way, I use Confer 3/4 inch shackles. I would highly recommend the National springs. They gave me years of good service, and were never a problem on the road!

Andy Feingold
88 Samurai, moderately modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode