Hit & Miss Ignition - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2000, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Hit & Miss Ignition

I'm trying to time my 1.3L Samurai and have a problem. It seems that there's a miss in the timing. When using a timing light, I noticed that the light does not blink every once in a while. In other words, it's like it misses one out of every four or five revolutions. I just replaced all of the exhaust valves (#1 was burned up almost completely). I just recently bought this vehicle and so this is a pre-existing problem. Would this missed ignition be the cause of the previously burt valve? Any suggestions on what I should check or replace? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2000, 04:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Hit & Miss Ignition

you need the tim light on the first cylinder, at the fan end of the engine, as you likely already knew. if the engine is missing, you'd feel it in the way it drives. even if a valve were burned, and causing a miss condition, if the ignition were still firing properly you would not notice a miss in the tim light. my guess is that you have a weak connection at the tim light, causing the light to occasionally miss. try it on another cylinder. you can't set the tim mark that way, but you can test the tim light. if you have a pal with light you might want to compare with it on your engine. does the engine drive like there's a miss?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2000, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

As far as driving like there's a miss...it sort of feels like there is...although it's not that easy to tell since this is the first time it has run since I bought it in late January. The exhaust valves were burnt up and I had to have the head rebuilt. The timing is set at 10 BTDC and idles somewhat smoothly...except for the timing light not lighting on every stroke. I'll try it with another vehicle to make sure the timing light is working properly. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2000, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would first try another timing light. You can get a miss if cam timing is off one tooth.

Next guess is bad plug wires, rotor or distributor cap.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2000, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I'm so close to getting this ride running that I can't hardly wait. I'll double check the timing belt to make sure it's in sync and then double check that the timing light works on another vehicle. Again, thanks for the help.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2000, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Another Question...would the Ignitor/Coil pack inside the distributor be the cause?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2000, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My limited experence with them is they work or not. You can test them for a pulse using a high impedance meter or LED probe. More likly to be same old problem rotor, distributor cap, or spark plug wires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode