lift kit questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 12:41 PM
ronin

lift kit questions

I am starting to think about getting a lift kit for my 88 samurai. I am planning right now, if all goes well, to install 235/75R15 tires on 15x7 rims. I want to get lift somewhere in the 3 inch range. It serves as a semi-daily driver, so I donít want to get too extreme for now. Will 3 inches be enough to clear these tires without any rubbing? As for the lift itself, I am simply not sure which way to go. RRO bolt-on SPOA has been the one that I kinda lean towards, but I am just not sure. I know there are spring lifts available from Calmini, RRO, and Quadratec, but from what I have read a SPOA seems to give better articulation. Am I right on this? Can the RRO bolt-on SPOA be coverted into the full SPOA (I would assume by just welding on the spring perches in place of the bolt-on hardware) later on if I decide to go more extreme?

On a related question to the tires, how will the 235/75s effect the power/performance on the stock 1.3engine/drivetrain?

Any opinions or experience shared would be greatly appreciated! I am new at this, so Iíll take all the help I can get

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 03:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: lift kit questions

I had 235's with Calmini's shackle reverse (the 2" one) it drove really well and was fine with the stock gears, good lift for the money. I've come a long way since then, but you have to start somewhere. good luck
BEWARE: once you start to modify, you will get hooked and spend lots of money!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I currently run a spoa with 31x10.5's as a daily driver with no ill effects whatsoever. IMHO the spoa gives you more options for future modifications.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 08:56 PM

A spring-over will give you more than 3" of lift. No, 235's will not rub with 3" of lift. I run 31's with 3" Nationals and they don't scrub, the only mod I did was some front bumper trimming and I also run stock Wrangler shackles, which are about an inch longer than stock shackles. I have been very pleased with my National springs, the ride is better than stock and it flexes good enough for my type of off-roading. When I ran 235's there didn't seem to be any loss of power. I can tell a difference with the 31's, but it's not that bad.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 12:01 PM
ronin

Is there any benefit to running the wrangler shackles over aftermarket ones? I assume when you say they are 1" longer than stock that they provide 1/2" lift? What model year are they from or does it matter? My Suzuki dealer also carries jeeps so it would be nothing for me to get a set the next time I am in there. I am looking more into the National Springs (RRO 3" budget lift). Last night when I was under the Samurai putting on my new Calmini muffler I noticed my stock springs looked a little warn out. So, if I do go with the lifted springs I might go ahead and put on some new shackles too(I'll be replacing all of the bushings anyway, may as well do it all at once). There are just too many choices

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 05:30 PM

There isn't an advantage running the Wrangler shackles. The reason I used them is because they were just a little longer than stock and they were free. I prefer shackles that are made with a welded piece in the center, like Con-Ferr. The wrangler shackles I used came off of an '89 and yes, they provide 1/2" of lift. I plan on ditching the shackles and reinstalling my Calmini shackle reverse with my 3" Nationals. What kind of info do you want on the Nationals? I would definitely change the bushings, I got some Energy Suspension bushings from Zuki South, they are black (graphite impregnated?) bushings. Your stock springs are probably pretty worn, they would probably sag worse if you went spring-over. If money isn't an issue, you could go with Old Man Emu springs, 3/4" Con-Ferr shackles and your choice of poly bushings. I'm sure 235's would fit nicly under that setup. Keep us posted on what you decide.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 08:35 PM
ronin

I got back under my Samurai tonight to finish bolting on my new muffler (you never really know just how much mud and dirt can be caked on under there until you have it falling in your face. While I was down there enjoying the scenery, I took a real close look at my springs. They are, for the most part, pretty well worn. I think I will be going with the National springs after all. I will probably wind up getting the RRO budget 3" inch lift for now since I am on a budget and the kit seems to have everything to get me started. I'll check into the con-fer shackles, because like I said before, may as well change them while I have everything apart. I do have one question about the Nationals for you. How do they hold up as far as body roll is concered? Can you tell any difference in the corners?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 09:17 PM

I can't tell any difference in cornering. Like I said before, the Nationals are alot better than the stock springs. After a month or so of driving they seemed to ride even softer. You may want to consider some longer shocks. I found some at NAPA for about $12 per shock. I may have the part numbers somewhere if you are interested. I can definitely relate to the dirt in the face, it's the price you pay! I have one set of Con-Ferr shackles that are 3/4" longer than stock. You can have them if you pay for the shipping. Just one recommendation on the shackle bolts, use nylock nuts so you can leave the shackles a little loose. Man, I need to be some kind of salesman. I got you from a spring over to National springs. You want regret it.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2000, 08:04 AM
ronin

The part numbers on those shocks would be great. I have a NAPA store less than a mile from my house. I might ride down there and check 'em out. Thanks for the offer on the shackles, I'll send you a note to your private account when I get home so we can swap info. BTW, Do you get comission on this sale?:]

Thanks for all of your help and answers! I think the new spring packs will work out better for me in the long run. I can always go full SPOA later on down the road. I really appreciate your advice and all of the others who contributed also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode