Squeeky Clutch Pedal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2000, 10:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Squeeky Clutch Pedal

My clutch pedal has developed an awful creak when I use the clutch. This is a new Hawk cable about two or three months ago. The clevis was greased when I put it in. I am thinking the noise must be coming from the pedal pivot point. Anyone had the pedal out? How hard is it to reinstall the pedal return springs? There's not much in the Suzuki manual other than pedal height and cable freeplay adjustment. The sound is definitly coming from the pedal area. The pedal seems to push harder and less smooth. The new cable could be stretching some. I plan to re-adjust it when I take it apart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2000, 03:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Squeeky Clutch Pedal

every samurai I have been in has this squeek, just keep spraying the pivot with WD40

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2000, 04:03 PM
CSR

Had the same problem with my beater Zuk. I took out the pedal and greased the shaft real good and put it back in. Mark the splined puller thingy when you take it off so you won't have to fool around with the pedal adjustment when you're putting it back together. HTH,

<font color=green>Happy Trails,</font color=green>
[email protected] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2000, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i've had a similar problem on my 89 kick. on mine, the pedal felt notchy through it's travel. watched with a flashlight while pushing with my hand, and saw it was the loop thingy from the cable going over the hook on the pedal that was doing it. it wants to slide a bit on each use. i put some grease on it with my fingers and problem solved. sounds like yours is in the pedal axle though.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

After removing the clutch pedal, I believe the screeching sound is due to a mis-alignment of the clutch cable clevis and the arm it hooks on to. This arm can be positioned at many angles due to the splines on it and the pedal shaft. I am going to look at it again tonight and try to determine if the arm needs to move one or two splines either way. Of course the cable will have to be adjusted again...
FYI, the pedal shaft has a nylon bushing at each end which should not require much if any lubrication. It is a pretty good design overall--no metal to metal wear unless your bushings have been destroyed. The only place for grease would be on the cable clevis/arm joint.
The noise seems to be at the firewall where the cable comes out of the rubber grommet of the outer housing. I think the arm is either slightly pulling up or down on the cable as it pulls it out, causing the noise. The screeching is probably the cable rubbing on the grommet.
jaybird '87 JX Hardtop

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My clutch pedal makes a loud popping noise when I depress it. Developed it after running Woodpecker and Ajax one day (also developed some body damage) but I see it as character. Good luck finding and fixing it.

Troy

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 05:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well Jaybird, I was waiting on you to find the problem. I have the same screeching noise when I push in or let up on the clutch pedal. I think I started to hear the noise after I replaced my Clutch, but I knew that it was the cable, sounded like it was coming from the fire wall also. I'll have to take a look and see if it is the same problem as you had or still have? Thanks!

Brian [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode