I hope off-road.com doesn't do this... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

I hope off-road.com doesn\'t do this...

This was in my message box on the Zukiworld bbs regarding this thread:

http://www.zukiworld.com/cgi/yabb/Ya...num=1052709557

My reply:

Wow Eric, you've "allowed" me to post my experiences?

If you think plan on banning me, go ahead, do what you wish. I'm simply stating facts from my experiences.

Yes, the "camber issue" is a problem area that WAS NOT mentioned on the Zukiworld review or anywhere previously. I'll show you.

Here's the quote from the Zukiworld article that you listed.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Repeat this on each side, attach your steering arms, and drive shafts and you’re ready for a professional realignment.

[/ QUOTE ]

What IS NOT pointed out in that sentence is that after installing the suspension the toe in is so great that you CAN NOT take it to be professionally aligned. You MUST do an alignment yourself PROIR to taking the vehicle to a professional. Not doing so basically renders the vehicle undrivable.

Regarding this comment:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Second, you've mentioned "the whole camber issue" What is that about? On the project 'Tricker Kicker' vehicle we reported as observed there was no camber issue after install, Moab, and Rubicon, It's called the alignment shop, use it! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I said "camber issue".

After installation you have postive camber in the front end. This was verified with Calmini when I installed the suspension. They said you WILL have postive camber. Installing the larger tires with 2" backspaced wheels will help correct this. It also states in the instructions that camber will be an issue unless you trim the springs or install a steel bumper/winch.

Tricker Kicker didn't have that issue because you guys are also running the Calmini bumper and winch.

So, regarding the whole "camber issue" I stand by my facts.

Those facts being:

1. There is nothing on the Calmini website telling potential buyers in advance of the camber situation with the lift, and that trimming the springs or buying a new bumper/winch is needed.

2. This is not on the IZook review.

3. It's also not on the Zukiworld review.

4. I talked to Steve on the phone, he even said himself that some type of note should be made regarding the lift and the postive camber induced by the extra coils in the front springs...put there to handle the load of the accessories.

So, I've checked my facts...they check out. They're the truth. I have no reason to sway one way or the other regarding how things have went.

My only question to you, is what is your stake in this? Why would you care if I post my experiences with a product?

My "alternative voice"? The post was directed towards me!
Looks like if I continue I'll no longer be "allowed" to post. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 08:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: I hope off-road.com doesn\'t do this...

Well It is his sandbox. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] On one of my first posts over there i was commenting on auto vs stick, and I basicly was instantly marginalized. Gives ya a warm fuzzy. So I am guessing if he reads this Bu By. Oh well I spend too much time online at work anyway. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I also agree it is his sand box,
and to not point the fingers, cause you are Stating valid pnts that should be Mentioned. Common sence tells us that anytime a vehicle is modefied, there will be issues that need to be overcome, Most of us that have the ability to modify or work around, its not a problem unfortuantly there are those out there that are less mechanicaly inclined and have to rely on what thet read and are told.. So to those People that bring up valid points and try to let every one know all the facts [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] and to those that cant pull there head out the a$$ to see the short comings of others abilitys. Well they just need a good crack in the forehead with an axle shaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Veteran

Projecttwin, I feel your pain with the tracker lift. Mine was so stiff when I put it in it didn't sag a BIT with the 2.5" backspaced wheel.I had no winch bumper, just a calmini tube bumper and asked Steve at Calmini why he deemed it necessary for me to buy a bumper/winch combo when I didn't really want one at the time.I asked why different rate springs weren't offered and the subject abruptly changed.oh well, they got my money and that's that. I am still waiting for the "new, softer coils for tracker/kicks without a winch". I thought it was just smoke up the backside and it turned out to be just that. Its been a year now, I've hogged the strut mount holes as much as possible and trimmed 1/2 a complete coil from each spring and the camber now is only just under 3/4 degree positive. Not the greatest way to get maximum Super Swamper tread life. One other thing to do with this lift is to ditch the rear shocks for the cheapest hydraulic shock you can find. the ride is instantly better.Oh well, enough [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Calmini
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

It's stupid.

It's not like the lift is a bad product, there's just some things I feel the consumer should know prior to purchasing the lift.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The funny thing is that you are only telling the truth. I've seen a fresh install of the lift on someones tracker, and the camber issue is real. I'm still buying the kit regardless, you're complaints are valid. On Calmini's site it also doesn't say anything about the grinding that is needed either. So as I read there site I assume that it's just a bolt in lift, and that all I'll need is some wrenches. What if I didn't have a grinder, then I wouldn't be able to finish the lift untill I grind some metal off the rear shock mount. This info should be explained, so as to prepare a cutomer to install the lift. Anyway I'm glad you created a site to inform readers as to what to expect.

All the power to you bro.

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, AO.

I just wanted to help those that are considering buying the same kit.

You'll notice I never said the kit sucks, blows, is a POS, or anything to that effect. All I've done is point out areas where I had reservations/problems/suggestions. Since I paid the cash for the product, I called the manufacturer's tech support line and, surprisingly, talked to the OWNER.

I commend Steve for spending 1 1/2 hours on the phone with me. That's great support when the owner, of all people, will take time like that to talk to a customer.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Wow...more stuff.

I got another private message from Eric...

Complete info is located here:

http://www.projecttwin.com/eric.htm

I've posted for the last time on the Zukiworld forums.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 06:59 AM
Can't Get Enough

Where do people come from? I wonder sometimes. Sorry you had such a bad experience with those guys. I really enjoyed your review and found it very informative. I thought long and hard about a lift for my X-90 (basically a track/kick suspension) and was going to go with the 3" Super-articulation kit like you did, but the guy at Calmini talked me out of it as I was not going to be super-modifying my rig and that would be overkill and I would not like the stiff ride. So anyway, I went with the 2" kit. Install was great and it does just what I wanted. NOTE: I too, had camber issues, not totally addressed in the instructions. There was no way that I could drive it to get the alignment done. I had to make my own adjustments/alignment by sighting the wheels. Got it close enough to drive, altho my steering wheel was upsided down, then took it to a shop to get it done. Hey, all those things are part of the process! We're taking vehicles and modifying them beyond what was originally intended by the manufacturer. There's going to be surprises, headaches, and problems to be addressed with each vehicle (and each may be different). We understand that, obviously Eric doesn't!
Yes, I'd recommend the Calminin lift. To bad some guys just can't see both sides.
Thanks for your story.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 08:39 AM

I agree with your posting as well as the replies. And as Rockrat stated, there are some of us here that are less aptitute than others. I myself, am a very mechanically minded person and can handle just about any situation if I understand it, however, I do not have the equipment to handle these issues. So, when I look into lifts, etc, I have to buy kits that I can use without a lot of major fab work and the only place that I can get the information is from the vendors and from the guys here. I think that the vendors should state ALL of the issues for the purchaser to consider before buying. At least they will know what they are getting into. I also appreciate people speaking out when they get a product that is not quite as advertised. Keep up the good work and don't let other peoples defensive position deter you from speaking out. I did not see anything in your post that was slamming him, only that you thought he should state more details about the issues that one would run accross with this suspension lift. You were not out of line here. [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode