swift better then 1.6'er???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

swift better then 1.6\'er????

I noticed something when glancing at engine performance specs, it turns out, or so it seems, that the Swift GTI (1.3 16v dual overhead cam), engine puts out more then the suzuki 1.6 16v! Since the swift motor is pushing more and lighter, wouldnt it be a better upgrade then the 1.6? Please tell me someone has some dyno tests to prove this wrong cause otherwise, why would everyone go through hassle of 1.6 16v????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:01 PM
zukiman

Re: swift better then 1.6\'er????

The 16v DOHC 1300 in the Swift does put out 100hp, 5 more than the 16v 1600. However, it's a high-revving motor with low displacement, so it doesn't put out the low-end torque that the 1600 does. Unless you have real low gearing, you'd probably be better off with the 1600.

-- Geoff Beasley
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:03 PM

Also, the 1.3 GT engine is a LOT more difficult to find whereas the 16Vs are all over the place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 11:17 PM
Veteran

no replacement for displacement [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Sean [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 12:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Well, I'll agree to all that except for one thing , rods . If you wheel it with a heavy foot , that 1.6's days are numbered . All it takes is to zing it once too often on a hill or in some mud and it's all over....
Sarge
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 12:33 AM

Then take the best of both worlds. Bore out a GTI block to accept 16v pistons. It gets you to a 1.5 displacement while retaining the forged crank.
There are all kinds of this type of info on the Teamswift BBS. http://pub83.ezboard.com/bteamswift
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 02:02 AM
zukiman

But with the 1600 pistons you lose the high compression of the GTi pistons. You can get 40-overbore GTi pistons which are the same bore as the standard 1600 pistons, so you'll have the increase in displacement plus the high compression plus the strength of the GTi bottom end.

-- Geoff Beasley
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 06:42 AM

if you plan on doing much mud running, steer clear of either of the 1.6's. over rev a 1.6 and their weak a$$ rods will shoot out the side of the block like a handgranade went off. i've seen far too many 1.6's with horrible rod and crank failures without even being pushed "hard". even a stock 1.3 8v can take more punishment than those one-legged dogs.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

I have yoters Im about to put under there, next I plan to run sumo gears, so 4.10's with sumo's the swift motor should push out right shouldnt it? I was talking to Scott last night and from the sounds of it the engine is all forged etc...Sounds like a stout little motor... Since Im already injected would all would be needed for the swap?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 07:06 PM

gti heads use port injection. the injectors are in the side of the head. you will need a gti speed sensor to put into your zuk instrumentation, a complete gti engine, gti computer/ wire harness, water neck off a chevy sprint because the gti one points strait at the fire wall. a samurai water tube from back of water pump, sammy oil pan/oil pick up tube & dipstick and tube, sammy motor mounts and a custom or modified samurai hedder.

your efi zuk will use its stock fuel pump fine but wiring will be needed. your zuks tbi is far different from a gtis port injection. if you use a gti water pump you will need to use an electric fan. if you use a zuk one, you should be able to use a zuk fan clutch but they suck A$$ so use the electric fan.

you will also need to massage the fire wall a little bit with a ball peen hammer for disty clearance. this scares everyone but i did it and it is not a big deal. if you use any amount of skill on it the indentation will appear as if it was factory.

also, i have all the parts with the exception of the gti bottom end and custom header for sale if anyone needs pm me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode