HELP ME..daughter turned 16 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

HELP ME..daughter turned 16

Oh boy is this fun stuff. She got her permit on Friday and had decided the only thing she wants to drive is the Silverado x-cab because it's an auto. She makes the zuk jump like a frog and flat refuses to drive the 5 spd Solara (not a bad thing really). Now I know I'll be doing the clutch this summer!

Some things said so far while she's driving the zuk:

That was a good stop, next time push in the clutch too...

Usually we don't shift from 3rd to 2nd on the highway..

Slow up a bit for this curve......slower..........SLOW NOW

You can stop a little closer to the stop sign (30ft back)

40 is just fine for now in 3rd.. (4K rpm)

Hmm...never hit that curb with the chevy...

Please do not drive with 1 foot on the gas and 1 on the brake..

YES I'LL DRIVE HOME NOW [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:26 PM

Re: HELP ME..daughter turned 16

hahahaha I was almost rolling around cause of what you said, I tried to teach a friend on my zuk who had never drove stick, she made it hop like a grasshopper, I nearly pushed her outta the drivers seat, then apologized....TO THE ZUK...went home and gave her some EFI treatment and an oil change, she got over it the next day...the zuk that is [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

Been there, done that times 2. Miller time comes much more often after those episodes.

Neither of my daughters drive stick after 5 and 7 years. Somehow I really don't mind.

Good Luck, [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Enthusiast

I'm 17 and still only got my permit!! For some reason sticks were not that hard to get the hang of after raming my bro's trooper into a pole (in front of a parking space) cause he was telling me to push the clutch in before i stopped (I did not realize he meant put brake in at the same time) So I did just that instead of just putting the brake like on an automatic, I just pushed the clutch in (like he told me) and free wheeled into the pole 5-8 mph. I heard about that one from all his friends for a while (escpecially when he felt like clowning on his freshman bro at the parties [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]). But I think the best way to learn is to drive ALL different types of cars with sticks, and do alot of wheeling to get used to the clutch.

Scott
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Skip

Hey toy, been there done that x5. All of them took the test with a clutch and passed first time. Find a new housing development and teach her how to back around corners. When she can go around an entire block, both ways in reverse using mirrors, it's time to go forward. And for you, I learned a good liking for Irish Whiskey. Tellemore Dew or Glenlivich if you like Scotch
Good Luck and have patience [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 11:53 PM

Yup, teach her to use that clutch out in some big space, stadium parking lot, the biger the better. And empty of course. Just do starts, one after another till she gets it, then starts and one shift, then stop.

My son learned in about 2 or 3 hour long trips, now I can't get him out of my Tracker!

Beer is good afterwards though. Or scotch!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 12:13 AM

Everyone should learn to drive a standard, just maybe not on a Samurai. I learned to drive a standard in winter, never stalled that way, because of the snow.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 12:21 AM

I learned on a gravel road .When I could take off without spinning or stalling I was allowed to roam the high ways !
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 12:55 AM

Ditto on the practice in a big space. My dad took me to the high school parking lot in his 67 1 ton 4x4
international. As soon as I could get it going in forward without jerking, he made me stick it in reverse.
We stayed in reverse for what seemed like a half hour splitting parking stalls til I could do it without effort.
I thought my neck was going to break from being twisted. Paid off though. I recomend the proceedure.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 01:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I got the job of teaching a future sister in law how to drive a stick , I'm still dealing with a starter issue . Don't ever buy a reman starter from Auto Zone , they owe me a flywheel now after 3 starters . I was even real nice and put it in 2lo for her, she still managed to kill a good starter and the battery in the same afternoon . This was the first time I'd ever seen a Zuk engine diesel backwards , she had it hopping across the main highway in reverse while in 1st gear after I had push started it . Didn't know that was possible ....
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode