How are your TT Double tough shafts holding up? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

How are your TT Double tough shafts holding up?

Sick of blowing apart stock ringed birfs with 33's. I really don't plan on going bigger than 33's (honestly) for the trails i run so i''d kind of like to keep the cleanance/light weight of sami axles.
But $600 is a huge gamble. Any experiences? i searched and read a few, but want some fresh info [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 08:25 PM

Re: How are your TT Double tough shafts holding up?

Tell the truth, you broke it trying to park. Get it right!
[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

LOL if i would have broke it doing that, i would have pulled the broken shaft right there and beat myself to death with it [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

ttt ....just one time
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 06:51 PM

why upgrade with 600 dollars to a stronger POS? What if you wheel it really hard and they break? Thats another 600 to replace, take that 600 and throw some wagoneers under there...33's or not cause even to that will give you a wider range of options...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 07:49 PM

I second Studly. Why spend all that money on stuff that is moderatly stronger. And it is not just $600. Last I checked the axles were $620then you need to get a set of rear side gears and shipping on top of that. Other considerations would be expensive replacement parts, and the only place you can get them is TT and what happens if you can't get a hold of Brent. I think after all said and done you could thouw a heaver set of axles under there and have not only a stronger frontend but a stonger rear aswell.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

I would not call them a pos [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] for 33's... And Jesus christ get your F'n facts straight, it is not 600 to replace, it is 100 dollars for the birf, and 210 for the shafts, if the shaft broke and you did not want to spend 210, buy the calmini's alloys for 119 (it is not THAT easy to snap um with 33's)
Also the strength of axles depands on where/how you wheel. A guy in Washington on this bord has wheeled thenm for a while and had great results ( I think he is GRW on this board or something?)
I think it would be cheaper for you to run the calmini 4140 inners with the Trail tough birfs, inners-119, birfs-100, that is 438 dollars, then you need to get rear side gears to use on front
An even cheaper route is to use longfield birfs/ with calmini inners, inners-119,longfields-85 (that is what they were when he still sold them but Rat said that rockbuggy supply is taking over). If you could still get um at that price then-408 would be total plus rear side gears to use on front.
I wheel in washington and don't care for rocks, my trails are normally wet/muddy dirt (no traction like calif) I am only running 34/10.5's so either of these setups should hold fine..If I go longfields I would birf ring um'

I think brents setup is a briliant idea. for there purpose they work great.. he started to produce them so that 33's would be run without easy breakage..

My .02

Later Scott
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

That's some great info Scott, Thanks! hopefully GRW will chime in with his experiences. Another reason is I' have money tied up into lockers, crossover steering, 2"bs wheels etc...., so that's why i'm considering one last chance with Suzuki axles..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 08:27 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I think it would be cheaper for you to run the calmini 4140 inners with the Trail tough birfs

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't work.The "Double Tough" Birf has a different
spline count where the inner shaft goes.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 09:11 PM
Enthusiast

Really? I was un aware of this. Well I guess it is back to longs and calmini inners. Or double tuffs. But either way both of these setups would do the job. Thanks rollerskate for correcting me. I will check that out. i just hope that longs will still be available for sami's through other supplyers (hope the price is not as much as it is for toyotas)!

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode