Measured 1.6L 16V performance? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Measured 1.6L 16V performance?

With the popularity of engine mods and conversions, it would be really useful to see some numbers on the final result. Considering the effort and $$ required to do a 16V, is it really worth it, or will you just end up going to a more powerful motor later anyway?

So those of you that have upgraded to Sidekick 1.6L 8V or 16V, or any other engine for that matter, what kind of 0-60 times do you measure? What speed can you hold climbing a long 6% grade?

I realize that tire size and gearing makes a difference so let us know that as well.

I am looking forward to your posts and I'll bet many others are as well [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

TIA,
Paul in Colorado
87 Sammi (project)
83 Toy Land Cruiser (wheeler)
83 Toy truck (parts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 05:47 PM

Re: Measured 1.6L 16V performance?

It is night and day difference. It is worth every penny, no matter how much you spend (within reason). Every aspect changes, acceleration, speed, torque throught the RPM range. I read that the 16 valve at 2k rpm is the same torque as a 1.3 sitting on the rev limiter. I am betting that every one that has done the conversion will agree with every point that I have made.
I promise that you will not be dissappointed. As far as the money, do like myself and a couple others have done. Buy a wrecked donor, pull the parts that you need and ebay the rest. I ended up coming out of pocket about $300. after ALL parts. That includes buying the Tracker, having the harness redone, fuel pump, mounting kit, CF DF clutch, and a few misc. parts.
I could not be happier with the swap, money well spent IMO.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 06:23 PM

I had the 1.6L 8 valve with a Weber, Isky cam, Hedman header, no exhaust and a freshly rebuilt engine. They're right, it was like night and day but still not enough for me. Then again, I wasn't geared so ya... Depends what you consider enough power. Now I'm dropping in a 4.3L CPI so this will definitely keep me happy [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 06:39 PM

I followed the normal engine upgrade path:
1.3> 1.3 w/header> 1.6 8v w/Weber/header/low end cam> 1.6 8v TBI FI> 16v MPFI.
Without a doubt the 16v is the best of the bunch. The 1.6 8v w/weber 38/header/cam combo would get close performance but you really had to push it. The 16v gets way better milage.
In my sammi, stock w/16v and 1 passanger, I can accelerate in 5th going up a steep grade. I could never do that with any previous engine. There seems to always be power to spare no matter what speed or RPM your at.
If you can pull the 1.3 out of your zuke, you have the skills to install a 16v.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 07:30 PM

Without a doubt the 16V is a GREAT mod. I'm on stock tires and I've stepped off the accelerator at 120mph. I know this because I had a friend who had a 140 speedo follow me. You can still pull hard in 5th regardless of the grade. It's not too expensive if you go an unconventional route and - as stated - find a wrecked Tracker/'kick. Belive me, it's a pretty mindless install and as Whazoo stated, if you can yank your engine you can put a 16V in.

BTW, Whazoo makes fantastic 1.6 valve harnesses!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ok so the 16v has its benefits with the gearing I have in the rat right now tran 3.652x2.28x4.16x5.71 =197. whith the limitations of High rpm with the 1.6 lower end this would not be the motor for me to install correct,,,
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 08:46 PM

Im putting yoters under my yellow one, with sumo gears and 4.10's I wonder how 35's would...hell it might even be to low for offroading [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 09:09 PM

I am running 6:1, 35" boggers, and locked 529 gears in Yota axles. I drive it around town all the time. I can peg the speedo at 90 and still have pull left, it is at about 5200 on the tach. It is a little scary at that speed, but is hilarios to watch peoples face when you fly by them. I do not know the REAL speed with that combo it is not 90.
With the 16 valve 4:56 gears in Zuk axles and stock tcase, the speedo would hit 100 and have a little left. Does anybody know how to figure speed by RPM with my current setup? How about crawl ratio?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Your crawl ratio trans 3.652xt-case 6.1x axle 5.29=117.84
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:51 PM
zukiman

My hybrid Swift GTi motor has more oomph than my buddy Adam's 8-valve 1600 (which also has a Weber, cam, and exhaust) and both of our motors were rebuilt less than 20,000 miles ago. In addition, my motor has about double the RPM range to work with so I can hold gears longer than he can and make use of that mechanicanical advantage too. I think a 16-valve 1600 would out-pull it though, plus it'll have more torque in the lower RPM range.

-- Geoff Beasley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode