Hello and Help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Hello and Help!

Hey all - I'm new to both this forum, and to Samurai's, so this post is to introduce myself and ask for some help. Don't worry though - I'm not new to the forum concept, and I do know how the search button works! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I've got an 86 Samurai, with the original 1.3 in it. Its pedigree is questionable at best, so at this point its a rescue operation to bring it back to life and reliability. I was looking for a Samurai for about two years before I found this one - here in Winnipeg they are rare to begin with, snapped up by a very active off-road community, and the bodies are usually rusted down to nothing by our winters and salt.

Eventually I'd like to do a modest lift (this will be my daily driver and winter car in addition to off-roader), and would consider either a 1.6 swap or Webber Carb / Calmini header combo. In addition to the Samurai I've got a Nissan 1600 NX which is used for autocrossing and will be stored in the winters. Anyway, I'm a dedicated fan of the Samurai and am extremely happy to have one.

So - here's what I could use some advice on...

1. Crazy metallic scraping noise on deceleration. When slowing down, in gear but off the gas, there's an intermittent metallic scaping noise coming from the direction of the shifter... sound is intermittent in the sense that it sounds like one thing is bouncing off another. Sound is the same in 2 or 4wd, and is the same regardless of what gear I'm in. Opening the throttle or taking it out of gear makes it go away immediately. Seems pretty evident (to my uneducated mind) that there's something shady happening in the transmission- anyone know what?

2. Strange rubbing sound coming from the back on acceleration. When accelerating, right around 2000 rpm I'll get a low, dull rubbing noise from the rear. Can be avoided if I keep the rpms up, and it doesn't occur when coasting or maintaining a constant speed. I have no clue whatsoever what this would be.

Here's the maintenance history of it since I've owned it (about six weeks):

New U joints all around
New transmission mounts (3 of them)
New alt belt
All new fluids throughout
Carb cleaner
Rear brakes and cylinders replaced

Other problems:
Exhaust leak at the manifold - stinks
Rear dampers leaking
Choke not opening all of the way
Some electrical weirdness - turn signals glow when I step on the brake pedal

So - that's the word. Anyone's help and advice would be very appreciated - I'd like to get this truck to 100% before the snow flies, and have a great time in the mud.

Thanks in advance and regards,
--Rod.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 03:58 PM

Re: Hello and Help!

Welcome to the BBS Rod. Where are you located in Winnipeg? There are at least four of us local boys here, Longzuk, Anton, BushmasterQ and myself.

I know the Zuk trannies often whine in 5th gear, but I can't think of what would cause the kind of sound you're describing. If down the road you find you need to replace it let me know. I have two spares and will sell one to you at a reasoble cost.

As for the electical quirk, follow each and every one of your ground wires and clean/tighten the connection point where it mounts. See if this makes a difference - it often does.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Hey RgDl - I'll keep you in mind for parts. Have you done the work on your trucks yourself, or can you recommend a good place to go? I got my initial work done at Ultimate on scurfield, but I'd like to find a place with more familiarity with Samurais - so as to be able to identify a problem and fix it without wasting a pile of $$$ on random fix attempts. Any advice? I'm at a disadvantage for doing stuff myself as I don't have a garage or comprehensive tool set... not mention not much wrenching experience. Anyway, any direction you can give for around the city would be great.

Thanks,
--R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Veteran

Welcome to the board [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img], and to our little community here in the Peg [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. like Ray said bout the electrical check all your grounds, they usually rot around the tail lights. Have you checked the level of all the fluids in the tranny, t-case and both diffs. are the axle bearings any good. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. check for play in the pinion bearings. also check for play at the out put shaft on the rear of the t-case.

Sean
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 04:17 PM

There is one guy we all know and have dealt with on occasion. He is very knowlegeable about Zuks, especially when troubleshooting problems, and he is a whiz when it comes to carbs. He is also reasonably priced (works out of his home in the evenings). Problem is he too often promises too much to too many, meaning he always bites off more than he can chew, so your truck ends up sitting in his yard while he works on other projects. Longzuk will attest to this. He also lives approx. 1/2 hour out of the city which makes it inconvenient for some.

Let me know if you'd like me to hook you up with him, but consider yourself forewarned.

BTW if you are interested, some of us meet for breakfast the last Sunday of every month at Gaffer's in Lockport.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Veteran

hey ray, my pos might be ready this week. if i don't work yuo wanna go out and play. we might go to rene.

Sean
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 04:20 PM
slozuki

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
2. Strange rubbing sound coming from the back on acceleration. When accelerating, right around 2000 rpm I'll get a low, dull rubbing noise from the rear. Can be avoided if I keep the rpms up, and it doesn't occur when coasting or maintaining a constant speed. I have no clue whatsoever what this would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same noise coming from the back of mine. but, its only noticeable when slowing down with the tranny out of gear. otherwise its too noisy. I think mine is coming froming the rear brakes. I'm pretty sure I have one out of round because I can feel it drag intermittently. I'm thinking thats my problem anyhow. I'm going to try and check it out tonight. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 04:21 PM
slozuki

almost forgot. welcome!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 04:23 PM

Engine rear main seal is puking. Not sure I should abuse it with the hour drive to get there and then a day of wheeling.

I will think about it.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Veteran

tow it out there thats what i will be doin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode