Hello and Help! - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: Hello and Help!

Hey - thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Electrical - I figured the grounds sucked, that and my battery posts are covered in a layer of corrosion. So I'm going to get a post cleaner tonite, and I've got some baking soda, vaseline, and steel wool to clean everything up and reground it. Was running rich too, so I'm going to pull the plugs and see what shape they're in.

May have a 4x4 trip somewhere in ont for may long... about 3 hours away, anyone got highway milage figures for the Samuria?? So far, I'm gettinga bout 225 km to a $17(Canadian) tank full of gas....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 04:55 PM

dreadsword, Invest in a basic set of metric tools. The Sami is just about the perfect vehicle to learn
wrenching on and you will want it on the trail anyway. It's near model T simple and usually easy access
to work on. Craftsman has a 90 piece metric set I'm fond of, as it has some room in its box for the extra
tools you need. About all you will need is beyond that is a couple of screwdrivers and a second set of
combination wrenches, and your set for most things.

With the help you can get here, a Hanes, or better still an FSM, there not much you couldn't tackle.

Welcome abord! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Hey Outlaw - I've heard lots about how easy the samurai is to work on - one of the reasons I've always liked them. I've got a Haynes already, and am hoping to do as much wrenching myself as possible - tonite - fluid levels and grounds...

---R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 06:10 PM

Welcome to the board and to the local Samurai community. Like Ray said, you should join us for breakfast on the last Sunday of the month out at Gaffers. You will soon become very familiar with all the quirks these little trucks have to offer. I have two, the Tintop has a bad water pump and my multi-coloured ragtop smokes so bad, I'm not allowed in the Wolsely area due to mosquito fogging fears. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 06:20 PM

Welcome to the board! Another Canuck [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I know what you mean about rust and Samurai's up here in Canada. I just started taking my body apart and had the windshield just about fall off! LOL Rusted to hell on the bottom, but no problem, it's being replaced. Good luck on the Zuk [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Sorry but I can't help ya much on the problems you're having with the rig...

Cheers,
Steve
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok - did some crawling around underneath tonite, and there's oil soaking the transmission bell housing. Sooo... Rgdl, longzuk - who's the guy you're dealing with? Ultimate is great, but if there's someone that knows Samurai's better, I'd rather go there. PM me or email me at [email protected] I actually have an apt to take the Samurai to Schaeffer Carb on Weds to see what they have to say - was recommended to them but Softy's.

Thanks a tonne for your help, and I'll for sure stop by Gaffer's once some of the gremlins are sorted out. On another note, found all of the grounds - the ones on the back are totally exposed and crappy looking - gotta be a better location then where they are now.

Anyway, thanks and regards,

---R
post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Bushmaster - LOL on the Wolsely ref. Funny stuff over there...

Hemo - yeah - all sorts of Canadians coming out of the woodwork - its fantastic to have a supportive local community! Good luck on your project - I figure I've got a year or two before my windsheild falls off - [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

---R
post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 12:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

On the oil leak , change the pcv valve as they are often overlooked and create crankcase pressure causing the seals to blow oil . The grounds at the tailights should be the problem with the glowing turn signals . As for that weird noise , take a look at the small driveshaft coming out of the 5spd , there is a dust collar that rides on the nose of the shaft and keeps dirt out of the seal , they sometimes come loose and rattle .
Sarge
post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 01:05 AM

Welcome to the forums Rod. It's good to see another local Samurai enthusiast.

As for the noises coming from the rear and shifter area, I would do as Sean suggested, check the pinion and t-case bearings for play, as well as the transmission output shaft for play. You might also check the slip yoke on your rear drive shaft for any excessive play - I know this can cause some vibrations and strange noises on deceleration.

Sean - let me know if you get a group of people interested in going to Rennie or somewhere this weekend. Nopiming is looking less and less likely as time progresses.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
May have a 4x4 trip somewhere in ont for may long... about 3 hours away, anyone got highway milage figures for the Samuria?? So far, I'm gettinga bout 225 km to a $17(Canadian) tank full of gas....

[/ QUOTE ]

dreadsword, where abouts is this place in Ontario? Is it a difficult rocky trail or swamp and bog?

post #20 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:11 AM

Rod, I PM'd you regarding our mechanic friend.

I too would like to know what area in NW Ontario you have in mind. There is a place about 20mins north of Vermillion Bay I used to go with my Dad when I was young. Beautiful area to camp, and we always found some old logging trails to have fun on. I'd like to go back again sometime with my Zuk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode