Rocker Panel Protection - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2000, 05:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rocker Panel Protection

You know that little rib that runs under the rocker panels ('87 Samurai)? How did you deal with that as far as installing rocker panel protection is concerned?

I would like to cut it off, but it appears to be two pieces of sheet metal joining......maybe not a good idea to cut it? I'm assuming most people just take a hammer to it. Every inch counts and I want to get rid of it somehow so my angle iron fits nice and snug. Thanks!

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2000, 05:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Rocker Panel Protection

drill out the spot welds and that piece will come off and give you a flat surface to mount your angle iron

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2000, 08:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We feel the same way. You can get an extra 1/2-3/4" by folding that seam over. With our rockers we recommend using a hammer to put that body seam flat, that way you can tuck our bars up as tight as possible.... which by the way are made from 1/4" hitch steel and cannot be bent or dented like those silly tube nerfs.

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2000, 09:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Don't cut off that bottom ridge! It's a welded seam and intergal to body ridgidity. You could hammer it over, but this would result in a pretty lumpy rocker. Leave it alone is my suggestion, but if you want it gone I guess you could cut it and WELD it.

If you want real rocker protection, add rock rails or sliders. They can be purchased for as little as $99/pair, or can be home-made for even less. Don't rely on diamond plate for total protection. It's not gonna cut it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2000, 01:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

LOL......thanks for the advice!

Don't worry......I'm not using aluminum diamond plate......I can't stand the stuff.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] When I do the 1/4 panel protectors, I'll probably use 1/8" (flat) steel!

For the rocker panels I'm using the same stuff I used on my Jeep; 3/16" angle iron bolted to the body with 3/8" grade 5 bolts. The angle iron I use has a joint that is approximately 7/16" thick. This stuff has nary a scratch on it.....and trust me, I've tried my best to damage it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

It all cost me about $30 Canadian (or so, my memory isn't that great). I'm too poor to buy "products" especially from the states with the exchange rate and all. Thanks again!

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode