Im dead, im dead, im dead. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2000, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im dead, im dead, im dead.

Today while on my way into town I had a fun little ordeal. As i accelerated to 45 miles an hour my car kindof did a little lurching number as i revved. So i took out the clutch and it idle fine, so i started off again, first alright, second, good, third some sort of little lurch, fourth and i have to pull of the road again, then it started back up and died on its own, and then i couldnt get it started and got to tow it home which is always fun. Anyways, has anyone had something similar to this happen to them? My battery is on the charger, and im checking all my fuel stuff, any help is definitely needed.
Thanks
Kid Zuk (dead zuk)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2000, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Im dead, im dead, im dead.

KZ,
Why are you charging the battery? Ran it down trying to restart?

Your symptoms could explain many things- fuel filter is a good place to start.
Could be you have timing belt problems. Let us know what you find.

Tim J

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2000, 06:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It could be a lot of things.........

I don't know the Zuk engine at all yet, but based on a Jeep:

It could be the distributer came loose and your timing is way off.
It could be that the ignition module is toast.
Dead fuel pump?

Check to see that you are getting fuel to the carb (and air of course)......then check to see that you have spark at the spark plugs......if all's well, check your timing.

Wish I could be of more help, but like I said, I don't know the Zuk that well yet. Good luck!

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2000, 09:41 PM

clogged fuel filter
bad fuel pump
vacuum leak--at the carb, manifold or a vacuum line
choke malfunctioning
bad catalytic converter

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2000, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd guess that the converter is the problem. Have someone stand near the tail pipe while you rev the motor. If the exhaust flow is restricted or inconsistent....the honeycomb in the converter has broken loose. You might be able to hear it rattle, I could hear mine when it screwed up.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2000, 05:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What year is it? I have a 91 (F.I.) that acted similarly. One day it just lurched a couple of times, then died. It would crank fine, but never even tried to start. I went over EVERYTHING at least half a dozen times. On the recommendation of fellow BBS folks here, I finally gave in and had my computer rebuilt by a company out of Florida called Auto & Truck Electronics, that specializes in that. Anyway, as soon as I got it back in, (and after about four months of trying other stuff) it started right up. The rebuild was $375. I'm not sure if this applies to any other model years, but it is a possibliity for sure, in any fuel injected models (It may even apply to all models with a computer control for emmissions, which affects the ignition system, which is where my problem was). So if you are getting fuel, and it cranks, check to where you are and where you aren't getting spark. In my case, I had no spark at the plugs, or even off of the distrubutor, but I was getting some measurable (but small) current from the coil. Just probably not enough to drive a spark. I thought it might be the coil and/or igniter, but there is very little that can happen there (although you might be able to get them tested - I couldn't find anyone here who could test them or give me test procedures)
Good Luck
Shawn

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2000, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

isn't there some ignitor thingy under the dist cap that also tends to fail, and cause these problems?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2000, 06:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's called a "pickup coil" I believe. And it could be the problem, but I had a heck of a time trying to get mine tested or even just to find one. Suzuki no longer makes the part according to Jim Lupient Suzuki in Minneapolis. In older Sammy's (pre FI) I think the igniter was also inside the dist. They have made changes since my '91, to those components. As a matter of fact of all the parts breakdowns I saw, the 91 was a one-year only configuration (although I didn't see examples of every year) I DO know that that configuration was never used in ANY GEO product. Anyway that's off topic. But I tend to doubt that the pickup coil is the problem. It certainly COULD be - don't rule anything out until you rule it out - but it has limited failure potential compared to other components. (I spent several months thinking that was the exact source of my problem and not being able to verify or find a replacement -
I'm still bitter:-))
Shawn

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 03:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is a small micron filter inside the carb. right where the fuel line coming from the fuel pump connects,my sammy took on a goos bit of mud and water I had a filter in the stock location but it was one of those clear inline filters.So much trash still got by the filter it clogged up that little fine filter which is your last line of defense.Remove the fuel line and take off the solenoid right next to it,so you can take the fitting off and you'll be looking at that filter but you cannot remove it use some compressed air and carefully blow it out.I hope this helped

Drive it like you stole it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode