New engine woes! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

New engine woes!

Okay guys(and gals), I'm at the end of my rope here. Just got a fresh motor in the Sammi. I started it up and was running it at around 2500 RPM to break in the cam when it just died. Wouldn't start back up for nothing. Checked the fuel, have fuel. Pulled a plug wire, have spark. Shot some starting fluid down the carb, zip, nada, nothing. So, I think maybe the cam jumped time. Pull the front cover, everything is in time. What the *&(**&%#$??? So, I have fuel, I have spark, the cam is turning, it hasn't jumped a tooth, it has good compression, why won't this thing sta rt back up? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] The only thing I can think of is maybe the ditributor is messed up? Anyone ever had something like this happen? HELP!!!
Joe Smiga
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 11:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: New engine woes!

Ok, so you have verified it has fuel in the carb? Like, as you cycle the throttle you can see the accelerator pump shooting fuel into it ? It has spark , but is it firing the plugs well ? Is there any signs of any smoke out the tail pipe ? Have you mechanically timed it from the cam to the distributor? Did you possibly set the valves too tight so when it's warm it lost compression ? Gotta do the steps , then go from there.....
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Yea, it has a level in the fuel bowl. Also, pulled the hose off the inlet and the fuel pump is pumping. I bypassed all that when I shot the starting fluid down the carb. It didn't even act like it wanted to start. I checked the plug wires by pulling them off, attaching a spare plug to each of them and verified they were getting spark. I changed all the plugs also. I pulled the cap off and verified the rotor was pointing to the number 1 spot on the cap itself. Pulled the valve cover, brought the motor up to top dead center and verified the timing belt hadn't jumped. Readjusted all the valves. Still nothing. I'm checking the timing both at the front of the motor, and at the flywheel. The only thing I can think of is my brother said the timing seemed to be moving about when trying to check it with a timing light. This makes me suspect the distributor. I am stumped at this point. Maybe a few beers and it'll come to me ...
Joe Smiga
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Ok then , now to test the disty . Get a volt meter that is capable of reading AC millivolts . Spin the engine over with the plugs out and the positive lead on the meter connected to the distributor's plug, it depends upon model and year as to what wire on the plug to use , but won't hurt it if you get the wrong one . Some amplifiers won't allow you to read them in AC , you'll have to go to DC . If the pickup coil and amp is working , you'll see the meter bounce each time the reluctor goes past the pickup coil . It's faster and easier if you can go directly in the distributor and test right at the pickup coil . but it will work at the outlet plug . Hope this makes sense.....
Sarge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:01 AM

It sounds like you covered all the basics. Do you have a different coil to try? it might be good enough
with no compression on the plug, but effectivly dead under compression. Odd that it would just up and
die like that.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, I may have found the problem! The dowel pin on the camshaft wasn't long enough, and didn't stick all the way through the cam sprocket. It just happened to be lined up when I looked at it last night. I pulled the cam sprocket retaining bolt off tonight, and could see where it was spinning on the backside of the sprocket. Now, I have to find that spare sprocket, figure out a way to pull the dowel out of the old cam,and put all this back together tommorrow! Wish me luck!
Joe Smiga
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 11:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you can't get ahold of it , with either pliers or a magnet , try using a 1/8" drill bit to get it to spin . Or, scratch a few marks across just the pin and mold a hunk of JB Weld to the pin , let it cure a couple of hours and use that to pull it off . I don't know why these are so short , I had to shim mine out quite a bit to insure it engaged in the cam sprocket .
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode