SPOA on a budget - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SPOA on a budget

Looking at a spring over in a couple of weeks, and after checking out the RRO deluxe kit, to do it right, it aint so cheap. So, where are the places to cut corners? Here is my plan so far

RRO Deluxe spring pads - $85
S-link and core - $174
Now for the cost savings:
Front:
Grade 8 bolt for shock mounts welded to top spring perch
Stock shock mounts
Stock shocks
Brake line extentions from BAP normally used for sand rails
Rear:
Grade 8 bolt shock mount
Rear shocks from my friends Tacoma
Brake line extentions as above

I also want to add 1" or so wheel spacers, but do not want to spend $210 for the Spidertrax kit. Are there any cheaper, and still reasonably safe ways to widen the track?

What are the major concerns I will have with this budget kit? What, if anything, is wrong with this plan? What would you do different and why? I think the biggest problem is the front shocks and within a month or two I can fix that up the right way. I'm open to all suggestions and advice, even waiting until I can save $700 and buy the whole deluxe kit and spacers, but that means waiting several month and no one wants to do that.

Thanks all,

Troy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-4569-MVC-230S.jpg (44.9 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 03:25 PM

Re: SPOA on a budget

Do it right the first time, you will spend less money in the long run!! You can get a complete SPOA kit from PetroWorks minus shocks for $400. When doing a plain SPOA you dont have to go with a S link or Z bar, that is only needed if you are getting some mad articulation from your SPOA. You dont need to widen your stance any just get the proper backspaced wheels, or just go with 10.50 tires and a cheap set of wagon wheel steel wheels. This configuration will take you just about anywhere the big dogs travel!!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Troy,
I have some ideas that may help. Please contact me directly:
[email protected]

Tim J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 03:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing some people have done o widen the track of the sammy is to mount the stock wheels reversed. On the front wheels you will need to move the valve stem hole to the opposite side by drilling a new hole and welding up the old hole. Might as well do this on all the wheels.
My other suggestion is just to do the spring pads and zlink. You can get extended brake lines for 20bucks a pop at Napa, or so I heard, I can get you the part numbers if needed. Just leave the stock shocks and stuff on there and when you can afford it, then get the extended shock mounts and shocks. Maybe for a month or two you won't have the articulation you crave, but at least you don't have to worry about anything breaking.
One other note on twidening your track, while I'm thinking about it. I think you can get a whole set of wheels for cheaper than $210 bucks with something like 2 or 2.5 inches of backspacing. I think a lot of people have recomended Wilamette (sp?) wheels. I've heard some really low prices.
Good Luck

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 05:46 PM
mike shannon

you can make your own Z link pretty easy dont just bend it just make sure the lower part it is at least 12 in. clear for travel.if you reverse the spring plates from side to side you can hook up the stock shock to the mounts, it does not hurt the travel that much,it will still do better than 22 in. on a fork lift. even if you hook up the sway bar. as far as the brake lines go you can cut the stock mounts and lower them about 3 in. the steel lines will pull down that much pretty easy,i have done this to 3 different zuks have not had any problems at all. the biggest hassel is the different size u bolts on the front axle, you will do a little bending in a vise to make them fit.the em. brake line will have to be lowered or you can just let it fly works both ways.but you should be a pretty good welder or have a buddy who is.if you keep the stock shocks you wont have a problem with the drive shafts. you can fit 31.5x10.5 on just about any 8 in. wheel. well there is the cheapest way to do it,if you have not done much work like this before you might just save up and buy the kit from glen or petro you might be a head in the long run, well good luck mike.

87,88.5 spoa,32.5x11.5 5.12 f&r and the rx7 motor is at the shop hope to get it in soon.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For a low budget SPOA you can use regular perches, a z-link, and longer rear brake line(s). You can weld 2 vertical pieces of steel to each side and use two bolts for the lower front shock mounts. This will let you use the stock towers and still get some good articulation. You can take the front lines out of the bracket and let them dangle. You can use the stock rear lower shock mounts on top of the springs and make an upper out of a 6" wide piece of 4" angle iron with two shock studs mounted close together in the middle. You will need longer shocks for the front. Total cost should be around $250.

87 Samurai, 33" muds, SPOA, missing links, GRS1, weber, 2 1/4" exhaust, 5.13 axles and f/r lockers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode