Tire pressure - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 07:35 PM
yxc168

Tire pressure

The 95 Suzuki Sidekick JX recommend its tire pressure at 23 psi, which is surprisingly low compared to our vehicles. My car tires are currently set at 33-35 psi by the previous owners and still looks like they lack some air pressure. Is 23 psi really the best number for Sidekick? Any thoughts or experience are appreciated.

YS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Tire pressure

Stay within the recommended pressure on the tire's sidewalls .
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you dont feel comfortable finding the pressure you like I'd stick with what the vehicle mfg recommends, they did the engineering and they chose that number for a reason. The tire mfg dosent know if the tires are put on a utility trailer or a full size truck. Usually its the MAX pressure printed on the sidewall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 09:54 AM
yxc168

Thanks for your replies Sarge and Zooky.
Since I have not driven this Sidekick before I don't really know what is the best comfortable feeling. I am OK with 33-35 psi at this moment. Maybe I should try 23 psi and see which one I like better. Again, thank you.

YS
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 11:23 AM

Keep in mind a couple of things, the side wall pressures are maximum with the maximum vehicle weight. A
Zuk, is incredibly light, and doesn't need much pressure to maintain tire shape and contact patch.

If you ate using LT's vs. P metrics it's even more lopsided. Too much pressure can lead to a poor ride and
even tire chatter and sometimes contributes to the death wobble (which has to be seen/felt to be belived)

I would start with the mfg recomendations and only work up slowly. add 2-6 lbs to start if you have a
heavy load too carry on the rear tires
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 11:54 AM
yxc168

Outlawmws, thanks a lot for your kind tips. I thought Sidekick is kind of light too. I will definitely follow your advice and lower the psi to mid 20s right away.

YS
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 09:21 PM
ggann3

I run 215 75R15 Michelin LTXs on 7" rims and I have the best wear and ride at 25lbs. When the tire dealer installed them they put 35lbs all around. Whew! I could feel every little bump and crack in the road. I emailed the wheel manufactuer and they said 23-28lbs for a 95 JX. So I figured 25lbs to be a happy median.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 09:45 PM
yxc168

Following everyone's suggestion, I lowered the psi from mid 30s to mid 20s. Boy, what a different feeling I have during the ride! It feels much more stable and comfy. Thank you all.

YS
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Veteran

in my 4runner i run at about 28 lbs with the 31/10.50 dunlops during the winter. in the summer i run about 32 psi.
in the samaria with the 31's i ran about 22/23 psi all year round. with the new MTR's i haven't had a chance to figure out the pressure that the truck feels the most comfortable.

Sean [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode